Sign in to follow this  
dr_kahu

Moving on from the E61 but staying with 5 series

This time next year, I want to move on from my current E61 525i, but I am unsure which route to take.

I don't mind staying with the E6x, albeit LCI this time, and prefer to stay in the N52, but up to 530i.

I've owned a couple of M54/N52 E6x's and I like them. In terms of its usage, I walk to work every day and every now and then go on 3hr road trips. 3 days of the week it's a grocery getter and a school runner. The school and groceries are a 1 min drive to either one. Probably already sounds like overkill to have anything other than a runabout, but I like nice things lol

So by deduction, my baseline is 530i LCI, but, I am curious to know the state of 535d's in this country (I understand the rarity), particularly with tuning options. I do not have any personal experience with the M57s, only read a lot about them from UK owners.

Besides that the other route is F1x, but I don't know anything at all about those, and wouldn't mind some pointers on those too. I am also not looking at e9x/f3x.

All of the 535d tourers I've seen have big miles (200k +) which probably speaks to good longevity, seem to be a roughly even split of NZ new and UK imports - spec levels probably similar between them, they all tend to have PDC which a lot of the Jap import E61's don't if that matters to you. M57 diesel has a decent reputation - risk of clogged EGR valve and turbo issues (two turbos on the 35d) potentially the most significant.

I would also second @qube's advice - F11 is a much more modern car and lovely to drive, possibly more electronics to go wrong. Straight 6 NA petrol only on 2010-11 models (I4 in the 520/528i after that), though there are a few 535i's around too. I remember seeing a 530d with 120-odd k for <20k 12 or so months back.

Edited by balancerider
(Sorry just realised you don't have to have a touring - which improves the options considerably)
  • Thanks 1

Having had an E61 and now an F10, no doubt the F10 is far superior but definitely bigger so make sure your happy with the size. The 6s either way are impressive, although I’ve only had the 8s in both ?‍♂️.

F10 ride and drive is a step up and if you get adaptive dampers you get the best of both worlds suspension wise.

I still love the E60 saying that, just with the tech it’s now a bit err

• Thanks 1

The e60s are starting to feel old now and only going to get older. I also think you might struggle to find a really nice one as a lot of them have been run into the ground.

Definitely look at f10s much more refined and comfortable. Even spring for a f30, not quite as comfortable as a f10 but a brilliant all round car

• Thanks 1