Sign in to follow this  
MatBat

Aggh Nasty Gearbox noises!

Well, a week after doing the conversion it's making some nasty noises, symptoms are as follows:

Not in gear and clutch out a rattling noise is heard

Not in gear and clutch in, noise goes away

In gear and clutch out, rolling along the road at idle, noise is heard

Thing is I don't think it's the input shaft to the gearbox as it "should" be in the spigot bearing and when pulling away there isn't a huge amount of vibration or knocking,

Also unlikely to be release bearing as it's new and a buggered release bearing doesn't make a loud knocking sound in my experience.

However, I have recently had the gear oil changed and noticed after my 700km drive today that there is oil all over the underside of the car.

any ideas?

Edited by MatBat

Input shaft bearing and seal stuffed.

the clutch out noise is typical of the input shaft bearing

when in gear noise is because the bearing is not holding the shaft properly and its leting it gring into something

This usually happens after the transmisson has been cleaned or oil changed. (because there is no thick sludge in the bearing)

If it didnt leak Id just put thicker oil in it coz its WAAAY to much $$ to fix

sell the car

If it didnt leak Id just put thicker oil in it coz its WAAAY to much $$ to fix

sell the car

Think selling the car is a bit extreme for a simple gearbox fault, I've only just put the thing in, so a replacement box job would not be too bad, how many $$$$ is one talking to get a new bearing and seal?

I put GL4 oil in it.

Round 500+ bucks for the bearing and $120 for the 3 seals in the gbox.

The job is HUGE (have to take EVERYTHING out of the gbox)

Spliting the gearbox is very hard and unless you know what your doing your going to strugle and then taking it all appart is even harder. Ive done it twice before but dont intend on doing it again.

I can give you a hand if you wana split it

the pilot bearing is an interesting idea and I would investigate it further if I was you.

I've got the same problem, input bearing is knackered, you learn to just live with it

Now heres the odd thing, got in the car this morning and it was quiet as a mouse, hasn't made a noise since, when it started making the noise I'd just returned from driving 3.5hrs at speed. could it be too thin a gear oil that's losing it's viscosity at temp?

I had a heavy duty mustang T5 gearbox in one of my cars that used to do this from time to time.

I just overfilled the box with good heavy oil and added one of these fancy additives that supposedly clings to metal. The noise occasionally returned after that, but only after I had given the vehicle a severe beating, normally on a hillclimb or similar but went away for normal human-like driving. :rolleyes:

As the other fella says, the box is an absolute dog to repair if you don't have all the special pullers presses etc. I would rather look for another one in good condition as the spares are likely to be more costly than a good second-hand box.

It is possible that the lay shaft bearings didnt like the grade of oil you have used, gearboxes can be a pain in the arse due to the fact they are quite often overlooked in servicing and after a while of rotating in their own excrement(ie metal filings) they tend to do weird things when u change oils.......Try some Redline gearoil-from BNT this oil is magigoo which will shut up the noisiest gearbag or diff watch the grading though and be prepared for a tough gearstick when cold...Rebuild in a bottle

mine did this after a lightened flywheel and synthetic fluid, where it didnt do it before

am i correct in saying its no big deal if it rattles? unlikely it will die? why not drive till it dies, then just whack a second hand one in, not hard to find, you should be able to find one easy for <$500

What are these gold plated bearings that need to be replaced that cost over $500???

Does anyone have the number of the bearing. I would keen to price it up through our suppliers.

What are these gold plated bearings that need to be replaced that cost over $500???

Does anyone have the number of the bearing. I would keen to price it up through our suppliers.

BALL BEARING 80X35X20 23121224164 US$53.01

I would have to hazzard a guess and say they will be round the $75-80 +gst

Edited by smokenbaby