Sign in to follow this  
Sammo

Coilovers thoughts / experiences

16 hours ago, Sammo said:

@Gaz How is the ride and NVH on the BCs?

I'm running 235/40/18 so have a little bit of sidewall.

this is a good tyre size. i was running 225 40 235 40 due to having low offset ET22 on 18x8.5 wheels otherwise would have run the same square set up as you

1 hour ago, qube said:

this is a good tyre size. i was running 225 40 235 40 due to having low offset ET22 on 18x8.5 wheels otherwise would have run the same square set up as you

Yeah, I like it, a little meaty for super aggressive offsets but I would want to got much below ET30 on E46 anyway.

Update:

Thank you all for your advice - really appreciate all the feedback!

I'm going to order some ST-XA coilovers - while I probably don't really need damping adjustment, for another $300, might as well throw it in.

KW made, twin tube dampers and more friendly spring rates sold me here (as compared to the Taiwanese offerings).

I'm looking to be around 330mm hub to arch in the front and 320mm rear which is well within the tested TUV range.

While I do love the idea of having KWs, talking to their support, the ST-XA product is the otherwise the same as KW V2 and paying $500+ for stainless front strut housings isn't worthwhile in Auckland IMO.

@leichtbau Looks like I do have several options for spring rates - either a 50 n/mm front linear spring with a 20n/mm tender or a 60 n/mm front linear spring with a 20 n/mm tender. Rears are same progressive at around 84 n/mm (must be an approximation, being progressive). 

The non damping adjustable ST-X also offer a progressive front spring, utilising the factory upper perch.

My current AP springs are 27n/mm front and 49 n/mm rear, so the 50n/mm should be noticeably stiffer without being overkill (BC and XYZ are both 8-10kg!).

Attached photoshop-lowered pic of my car haha

Lowered_1.thumb.jpg.1aae7fc7eadf5f4778afbb5f34f4b54e.jpg

• Like 1