Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Driveshaft balancing

What kind of place would have the gear to balance a driveshaft?

Mine has needed doing since my manual conversion as I wasn't able to get a whole manual driveshaft so I have the front half from one car and the rear from another.

The whine is begininnin to piss me off and I really don't feel like replacing my u-joints and centre hanger bearing prematurely as a result.

Alternatively has anyone got a spare manual driveshaft I could buy?

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

I shouldn't whine if it's unbalanced, it would vibrate!!

Have a ring around, my local guy can do 2pc driveshafts, he send +2pc ones to auckland.

Well I don't know what else it could be - diff was changed over Easter and wasn't whining in the car it came out of.

Centre hanger bearing was replaced week after gearbox was done as I thought that was the culprit. So it's either the driveshaft vibrating so minutely it causes a whine, or the u-joints, or its something else - but what????

It s at certain speeds in any gear (around 40-50km/hr)

Whining noises are generally the diff, mine was fine until I did the conversion then it started whining to so don't rule it out - it's not just your fuel pump you're hearing is it :D

No, not the fuel pump - Andrew could hear it when I drove up his street so that would be one loud fuel pump.

Weird that two different diffs would have the same whine at the same vehicle speed - weird for them both to be worn out in such a way so that they emit the same whine at around the same speed.

The diff ratio has changed - for the same driveshaft speed, this equates to about an increase in 5km/h vehicle speed - not enough to say that it can't be the driveshaft as the whine happens at around the same vehicle speed with a 10 or 15km/h margin.

I could just leave it as it is as it only happens at that speed range, and not all the time - wait till it gets worse???

I wouldn't mind getting it fixed, but I'm not sure what needs fixing!

Do CV joints or wheel bearings whine?

Do CV joints or wheel bearings whine?

not CV's.

Wheel bearing tend to have a low rumbling sound.

Could be the output shaft bearings in the gearbox!?!?!

Could be. Hope not. Any ideas on how to determine other than inspection of the bearings?

Cheers - the brakes will be done by then so that'll be the last maintenance woe new engine besides :D

Edited by bravomikewhiskey