Sign in to follow this  
SmackJackTheCrackerMan

Wastegate Rattle N54 Fix

I'm currently looking a buying a E91 335i which has some Wastegate rattle. I've watched all the videos on YouTube and this may be a little out of my depth to fix, having to completely remove the turbos to install new flapper kit.

Does Anybody have any idea on cost for having the Waste gate actuators replaced? The turbo's themselves are fine.

I see you can buy upgraded flapper rebuild kits to prevent this from happening again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-BMW-335I-135I-535I-N54-TD03-Wastegate-Turbo-Rattle-Flapper-Rebuild-Kit-/322815189521?mkevt=1&siteid=1&mkcid=2&mkrid=711-153320-877651-5&source_name=google&mktype=pla&campaignid=10692529378&groupid=112350339024&targeted=pla-293946777986&MT_ID=&adpos=&device=c&googleloc=9051269&itemid=322815189521&merchantid=116792603&geo_id=149&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6p3Oo7qy7AIVQXZgCh0GmAc0EAYYASABEgLe8PD_BwE

The money is in the labour. Try Jon at Auto 38 otherwise just get a video of it and show mechanics that seem credible and see if they will do it.

• Like 1

As Herb says, lot of labour and one of those 'while your in there' situations.

Almost gaurantee turbos will have end float in shaft,(thrust) worn.

Rattle fix itself is not overly differcult, but if you are looking at keeping car for a while, and upping boost etc, turbo core rebuild with upgraded bearings and thrusts is the way to go IMO.

Just to much to remove within the work scope not to tidy up and gain reliability going forward.

I'm about to do just that, taken long time, covid hasn't helped, shipping of parts, bit of a nightmare, but changing lots, mounts, lines, hoses, etc.

Good luck with purchase, great ride.

• Like 2