Sign in to follow this  
balancerider

Didn't know these existed!

If I had stayed in the US I was going to buy a sedan version for $5000usd. (Don't think they got the wagon).

It needed it's valve stem seals replaced.  Had done around 60,000 miles.  The owner was very pissed off and wanted it gone.

It was great to drive.  But bloody embarrassing when you are sitting at the lights for more than a min.  I honestly thought about dumping a bunch of magic as seen on tv sh*t into it and selling it to carmax.  But Karma would have tracked me down for sure.

I also hired a manual 550i E60 for a few days to go to bimmerfest east.  It had the exact same problem.  Different motors though aren't they?

@Driftit yeah N62 in the E6x well known for valve stem seal issues.

I think the main issue with the N63 is that it runs super hot (hot-V twin turbo) and because the US has lots of suburban driving with not much coasting (lots of fans running on full) , they were running through batteries rapidly because the alternator only recharges the battery on the overrun.

I did a quick google and apparently there were only ever a single figure number of F11 550i Tourings in RHD in the UK. I need to do some more research...

Edited by balancerider

Another one! This one is LCI version with updated N63TU engine - 330kw and <5 secs 0-100. I actually spotted the above car in Welly the other day.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3012016802?bof=2iFO8KB2

57k very strong money given what f10 M5 can be had for these days. I'd certainly be interested at low-mid 40's.

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.50.16 AM.png

On 12/15/2020 at 7:59 AM, leichtbau said:

Call me Ishmael...

At least I won't look like (Moby) Dick in the carbon black one...

• Haha 1

What's the argument for these over a 535d? Admittedly this is 20K over priced relative to the market, but what does the 550i do that it doesn't? Is it simply that the F11 is a bit of a boat at the best of times, so may as well go full fat?

Been there done (doing) that with the N57 (in my 335d). 

Want a V8 in a (relatively modern) BMW touring while I still can - without dumping 200k into an Alpina B5

• Like 1