Sign in to follow this  
Tidy30

WTB - E30 convertible soft top replacement

Hello dear bimmersport community members! I have been overseas for the last few years and have recently moved back to NZ to be reunited with my sweet, sweet car. Unfortunately over these years the plastic rear window has finally given up, and the stitching around it has begun to disintegrate.

I am looking at replacement roofs (rooves?) from overseas and have been looking at online guides on how to do it. But before I go ahead and bite the bullet, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a local place to go? Would be good to get some context on pricing to see whether or not importing one from overseas is the right thing to do. It can be to buy a roof itself, get someone to replace just the window, the whole thing, etc... I am pretty open to suggestions.

Thanks all for your time and help 😊

If the rest of the roof is in good condition then I would suggest just replacing the window and re-coating the roof with the weather proofing stuff.

Should be good for a few more years.

21 hours ago, Tidy30 said:

Hello dear bimmersport community members! I have been overseas for the last few years and have recently moved back to NZ to be reunited with my sweet, sweet car. Unfortunately over these years the plastic rear window has finally given up, and the stitching around it has begun to disintegrate.

I am looking at replacement roofs (rooves?) from overseas and have been looking at online guides on how to do it. But before I go ahead and bite the bullet, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a local place to go? Would be good to get some context on pricing to see whether or not importing one from overseas is the right thing to do. It can be to buy a roof itself, get someone to replace just the window, the whole thing, etc... I am pretty open to suggestions.

Thanks all for your time and help 😊

A mate of mine has a whole convertible soft top for sale including frame. His car was written off and the soft top itself is in really good condition. Black in colour but is located in Rotorua. Give me a message if you're interested and I can forward you his details 

On 2/18/2021 at 7:09 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

If the rest of the roof is in good condition then I would suggest just replacing the window and re-coating the roof with the weather proofing stuff.

Should be good for a few more years.

The roof itself is pretty OK, some of the seals have shrunk so there is a tiny bit of moisture coming in when it rains heavily but it's pretty acceptable.

Can you elaborate on replacing the window? I might be missing something but I don't see a feasible way to do it. I have considered just sewing up the window with new thread but I can't see a way to do it properly without removing the material from the frame so I can use the sewing machine. I've manually done a couple of stitches to stop the propagation but it seems like a poor solution long term. Removing it from the frame is a pretty big undertaking and is pretty traumatic for the roof as you need to split a bunch of bonded surfaces to do it, so if I were to do that I may as well replace the whole thing.

On 2/19/2021 at 1:43 PM, BMTHUG said:

A mate of mine has a whole convertible soft top for sale including frame. His car was written off and the soft top itself is in really good condition. Black in colour but is located in Rotorua. Give me a message if you're interested and I can forward you his details 

Wow that sounds like a potential avenue, I never considered a 2nd hand one to be honest. I've seen the images of that written off convertible a while ago actually, I'll send you a message. Thanks for the heads up 😊

Edit: It seems I can't message you directly BMTHUG, can you please forward me their contact details so I can find out more about it? Cheers!

Edited by Tidy30

On 2/19/2021 at 1:43 PM, BMTHUG said:

Just trying my luck 1 more time on here before looking into the overseas alternatives. Your inbox must be full as I can't message directly. Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tidy30 said:

Just trying my luck 1 more time on here before looking into the overseas alternatives. Your inbox must be full as I can't message directly. Cheers!

give me a call or text 02102916373