Sign in to follow this  
Simca

Chattering wiper?

Tried everything but cannot get my wiper to stop chattering on the e34 on the downstroke.

• Tried new blades.
  • Tried Claybarring the whole window
  • Put rainX on the window
  • Tried bending the wiper arm to angle the wiper more for the downstroke

Nothing has worked so far. I still think I'm meant to bend the arm so the angle is better but it hasn't worked so far and I'm damaging the paint on the arm by bending it.

Anyone got any ideas?

I think you can adjust the alignment on the wiper motor spindle, might help, from memory there are two adjustments? 

I had some what of an issue on one of my Soarers, ended up putting a washer spacer in the spring of the arm that provided more pressure on the window, seemed to help.

Just thinking out loud... but the chattering is likely some kind of slip-stick action, and that could be caused by slop in the attachment of the wiper arm to the spindle. If the arm is on a spline that could happen, but if it is held by some other form of rigid (no slop) fixing, then unlikely unless the whole driving mechanism was loose.

On a different tack, I was browsing Bentley for the 3-Series e90 and noticed that there was a section covering how to set the wipers up including instructions on bending the blade/arm/whatever. Might be worth checking that out.

Cheers...

Isn't this just normal for E34's lol.

Both of mine do it.  Only the drivers (RHD) blade.

Also have you tried Wipertech blades yet?  If they are crap they will give your money back.

Scratch that....

image.png

Further blade convo from a few years back.

Edited by Driftit

I had a look at the arm fixture and it seems like there is no slop at all. It doesn't look like there is much room for adjustment either. I had 2 e34s before this and they didn't chatter at all, although they were also LHD so maybe that makes a difference. All e34s I've had did cut the arm into the bonnet though, classic.

IMG_0069.thumb.jpg.6d789b516c515f0383ed6a8b406cced8.jpg

I only replaced the actual rubber and not the plastic arm bit itself, maybe that might make a difference. I wanted to keep the cool streamlined BMW wiper but I guess I might still have to switch. You can see here how bad the angle is on the blade, makes it perfect for wiping up, but not so much for wiping down.

IMG_0070.thumb.jpg.48ed5e64202b0329b522f2d095832df4.jpg

I'll try the graphite and putting more pressure on the blade but the main issue I think is still the angle. BMW has a tool to check the angle, though I am just gonna do the angle by eye:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/shogun/original/windshield_wiper_adjustment2.gif

This document I found says put a rag around the metal arm and bend until the angle is correct but cannot get that to make a dent at all.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/shogun/original/windshield_wiper_adjustment1.gif

Easy enough to make a angle gauge out of a piece of cardboard if you have a protractor lying about... you could even print a 360deg timing wheel out and use that to get the angle. Arm attachment looks solid !!! Does that wind deflector gadget make any difference to anything if you take it off ?

Cheers...

28 minutes ago, jon dee said:

Easy enough to make a angle gauge out of a piece of cardboard if you have a protractor lying about... you could even print a 360deg timing wheel out and use that to get the angle. Arm attachment looks solid !!! Does that wind deflector gadget make any difference to anything if you take it off ?

Cheers...

It's not the guage I am worried about, it is the fact that trying to bend the metal of the arm seems to do literally nothing but chip off the paint. I'll try taking the wind deflector off but if anything it might help. Stationary it chatters the most and while doing a hundred it won't chatter at all; because it completely skips over the water like it isn't there.

I'm guessing that the BMW Special Tools for your car will be along the same lines as the tools shown in Bentley for the e92. Looks like they clip under the outer flange left and right to pull and twist at the same time. Pic shows what appears to be  slot in the top of the channel and applying the tools either side of that slot would twist the arm at its least rigid section. Offhand I can't think of any normal toolbox items that could be used to duplicate the action of the special tools ?

Cheers...

e92 blades.png