Sign in to follow this  
Silver Fox

1986 E30 320 coupe

Looking to buy 86 E30 coupe, where do I need to look for rust, and what else do I need to be looking for? After it for a complete strip down and restore, maybe bore out to 2.7, or replace motor? Also want to do leather interior, can it be done? Quite interested in doing it to this one on Trademe 56249625. Any ideas welcome.

Look under the wheel arches, below the taillights, on the inside corners of the boot sill, around headlights, around both windscreens, at the bottom of doors, where the spoiler meets the boot, on the firewall, rip up some of the carpet and check the floor pan, in the spare tire well, check for dampness in the carpet as well as in the wells in the boot etc.

I've actually thought about buying this car myself, if it'd been a manual for that price then I'd consider it, but nah.. Its a good car but expect to be paying big money for a new cover.

Edited by E30stz

Thanks, any inherant engine problems with these? Has anyone out there had anything to do with a Baur cabriolet?

Graham aka Bravomikewhiskeys dad owns a Baur, would pay to talk to him see if you can find any common pitfalls with the roof.

The 320i (m20b20) engines personally I dont favour, I actually owned one 89 that shat itself on 126,000km's which I was quite gutted about. They seem to be underpowered for the number of cylinders on the engine, and definately have the worst fuel economy of all E30's as far as I know.

By the looks of it, I'd expect to have to replace the roof. Thanks for the info.

amen brother.

New roof for the Baur is $1500-2000 including a new vinyl cover for the targa top. They're pretty bullet-proof rooves with the exception of the perspex window which either cracks or goes milky so you can't see out of it - a good canvas place should be able to replace it, but Dad isn't going to bother - he'll just get a new one whilst they are still available and keep the old one as a spare.

If you want a cabby get a full cabby - the Baurs aren't very pretty. So far, the only good thing I've found with the permanent roll bar is that if you sit on the back of the rear seat with your feet on the seat cushion, the roll bar is the perfect height and size to rest your beer.

Leather interior is a piece of weasels - if you have $1000 and about an hour free time to swap it in.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Just looked at the auction. We got ours cheap (cheaper than normal) but for a comparison ours has done less than 100,000kms is a '85 323i manual with no damage to the roof except slight milkiness in the rear window, on some nice 15" 5 spokes.

$3500.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Leather interior for $1k? Where? Unless the Baur is different to my cab, they have a completely different rear seat, so you can't just plonk any 2 dr interior in. I've had a quote for $1800, which I thought was pretty good. There is a Meguiars product that polishes the "milky" crap off the windows, otherwise, imo, go for the full cab, I've never liked the Baur, although I could conceivably be accused of bias.

Bauer has the same interior as the standard e30's, the full convertible rear seat is much narrower. I fitted a leather interior from an e28 into my bauer some time back. Was a squash for the rear seat but fitted with a bit of force, have to mod the front seat mounts slightly to fit, so you can go this route if you are desperate...

With the rust that is appearing in this one I would be VERY careful inspecting it before I bought it. Particularly check firewall, floor pan and sills, those are major work...things like doors, bootlid, fenders are easily replaced.

320 motors are gutless gas guzzlers, if you buy it put either a M10 318 motor or a 325 motor in it. 318 has far better fuel consumption and almost the same power as the 320 but is lighter so handling up front is better overall...

I'm surprised how good the colour looks, wheels are OK and I owe Graeme? (Bravo etc) an apology, as that looks like a standard 2 dr interior (still not sure about the $1k bit though), BUT, otherwise, just not a fan. Old story though, if it's cheap enough and YOU like it, who cares? I'd still go a full cab though. . . .