Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

Will a getrag 240 run on a M20B25?

As above, will a Getrag 240 manual gearbox run on a BMW E30 325. The gearbox is an 87 the car is an 89.

What differences would I notice using a 240 over a 260 is there anything lost by doing it this way considering the 240 is designed for the 320.

I am under the impression that 4cyl boxes will not fit any 6cyl engines.

240 are 4cyl boxes.

All M20 6cyl boxes will fit any M20 motor. But i dont think the M10 and M40 boxes are the same.

My answer to you 'NO'.

Edited by bumpstop325

Just to confirm Tim, the 4cyl and 6cyl boxes are not interchangable

Getrag 240/245 boxes are for the 4cyl engines, 260/265 for the 6cyl engines.

Incorrect. I have a Getrag 240. We checked the EPC/ETK and everything. My engine is 6 cylinder. I've read elsewhere that the 240 is for 4 cylinders so was equally confused! They must just change the bellhousing or something between the 4 and 6.

Just had my gearbox reconditioned and he had to order parts, which were for the 240 only.

Edited by Deftones

Yes, well, all the forums and searching i've done leads to that assumption that the 240 boxes are for the M10/42 and the 260 for the M20. One truth is, though, that you can't switch a box from an M10/42 to an M20 without doing something major to it.

my bad, I was told it was off a 320i, maybe its not a 240. It is from a 320i so maybe that gives you the answer.

I can only find a few markings - none of which say 260 only one of which says 240 at the start of a code. which is at the end near where the driveshaft bolts in.

Edited by E30stz

yeah but I bought this off tardme and it could well be where the seller has bs'd me into thinking it was off a 320i.

The only serial number I can find is

240.0.0132.90 on the area below the driveshaft.

Edited by E30stz

My manual box is a 240 from a 320. It is now on my M20 320. They DO make 240 boxes for the m20 series engine. Look on the online ETK - some 320 models have the 240 listed as an option.

If it came off an m20 motor it will fit on the m20b25. Whether it will stand up to the punishment I don't know, but may find out as it is one option I am considering for my 325.

There are 13 different 240 boxes, for 4's and 6's and E34's but they don't interchange.

I can't see any reason why a 240 from a 320 won't work on a 2.5L as long as it uses the front mounted crank angle sensor.

Edited by gmccormack

Correct, Also have an early Getrag 240 that was mated up to a M20B20

AFAIK only noticable differnce will be ratios and maybe length. Ratio shouldn't matter too much but you may need a different driveshaft. (assuming sensors are where they should be)

Transmission Type:__G240_______ZF S5-16_____G260

1st________________3.72__________3.72_______3.83

2nd_______________2.02___________2.04_______ 2.20

3rd________________ 1.32__________1.34_______ 1.40

4th________________1.00__________1.00________1.00

5th________________0.81__________0.80________0.18

R__________________3.45__________3.54_______3.46

With Loving thanks from the Bently Manual

Edited by bumpstop325

bit of proof if anyone wants to see it first hand.

240's like those found in 320i and 520i's will bolt up to a M20 (given that the cars both run M20's).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dont mind the bit of a clean :D

I had a 240 on mine has since been changed, but I'm running the 2.5ltr on the old L-Jet bit Rangi but hey it works.

The 240 is shorter than the 260 so you will need to swap drive shafts also.

As Graham said you may need the crank sensor but there's always a way...

cheers Matt

Any ideas on how much tougher the 260 is? I assume as its longer due to bigger gears?

there isnt a whole lot of difference in length between them, if you sit a 245 next to them both you realise just how short both gearboxes are. The main difference in length is due to the different belhousing design, the 260 is much deeper (longer), they use similar rear housings and there isnt a whole lot of difference in the length of the cases (not including the belhousing section).

but yes, of course, different internals used to handle the added torque of the bigger engines. Unless you run through different kinds of gearboxes and see what they fail under, i dont think anyone can say just how much stronger they actually are going to be.

Edited by Madhatter