Sign in to follow this  
HalfJobHarry

Mobile mechanic East Auckland

Hi all,

Looking for a mobile mechanic with BMW experience who would be able to help me progress the last stages of my project and resolve a few outstanding issues. I'm totally happy to pay the going rate for the BMW experience. 

The 'big one' is helping me get my  front subframe back on. I think I could struggle with two jacks mucking around for an hour...or with a capable assistant get it back on in 10 minutes. Just the subframe back in position and bolted back in, re attaching everything else from that point is a single person job. 

Additionally The top coolant fitting of my AT cooler is leaking intermittently and it's no doubt due to having taken the cooling fan out and putting it back in. This beastie here

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=UC72-EUR-06-2008-E82-BMW-135i&diagId=17_0377   #12 in the diagram. 

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-engine-coolant-hose-17117541143

You can't call yourself a BMW enthusiast until you've replaced a sump and subframe by yourself! 😂

I am not a BMW mechanic but don't mind getting my hands dirty, happy to help if we can come to terms. Having said that, I don't do early mornings and I'm lying low for a bit to see whether half of Auckland (NZ?) gets this f'ing covid thing in the next few days. 🙄

As for the coolant hose, was it new, where's it leaking? Have you checked the o-ring? By coolant fan I assume you mean radiator fan? If so, unless you disturbed something I can't see how that would affect it?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

You can't call yourself a BMW enthusiast until you've replaced a sump and subframe by yourself! 😂

I am not a BMW mechanic but don't mind getting my hands dirty, happy to help if we can come to terms. Having said that, I don't do early mornings and I'm lying low for a bit to see whether half of Auckland (NZ?) gets this f'ing covid thing in the next few days. 🙄

As for the coolant hose, was it new, where's it leaking? Have you checked the o-ring? By coolant fan I assume you mean radiator fan? If so, unless you disturbed something I can't see how that would affect it?

Haha, the sump was easy enough with the subframe off. I just think I could spend an hour manuvering the damn thing back into place by myself...but would be 10 minutes with a capable helper :D. I'm possibly a week or two from putting the subframe up anyway, and the offer of help is much appreciated when works for you :D

No, the hose is not new, year, cooling fan / radiator fan, the big electric one behind the radiator. The trans cooler is fixed to the bottom right (if you are facing the front of the car) of the cooling fan with a single screw. Once freed it moves around supported by two coolant hoses and two hydraulic fluid hoses. This movement seems to have caused the top hose to leak. It's a short little hose that goes into the radiator. I suspect only disconnecting it (and probably losing most of the coolant) and reconnecting or replacing it will solve it. Those clip/snap on type connectors are usually pretty good and this one seems in good shape. See the pic...the trans cooler is in the pale grey and the problem hose is 12. 

I don't do early mornings on the car either with the kids....snatching time in lunch breaks and in the evenings right now :D

cooler.jpg

Yeah, I had a quick look at the diagram and part before I posted, it looks like one end clips on with a captured clip and the other end has an external o-ring, is that correct? The o-ring end seems to have external tabs, does that twist in to lock? Regardless, you need to identify exactly where it's leaking from, it's unlikely to be the pre-installed stainless clamps (but not impossible). Grab a bucket to catch the coolant and remove to check?

Tap me on the shoulder when you're getting closer to the subframe, we might be able to sort something out. But to other readers of this thread, if you're more qualified that I (quite likely) don't let my tentative offer dissuade you from offering yourself!

No sh*t, I put the subframe back in by lying on back under it with feet on the ass end, and arms at the front :D 

15 hours ago, Jacko said:

No sh*t, I put the subframe back in by lying on back under it with feet on the ass end, and arms at the front :D 

Yeah exactly......much easier with a helper. Although it does balance quite nicely with a large wooden board I have and my big jack under that board.... i think its totally *doable* single handed...but like many things in life, it's going the be better with two 😅