Sign in to follow this  
Twistee

Dashcam recommendations please

Does anyone have any recommendations for 4k dashcams, preferably with a rear facing camera as well. There seems to be a fair amount of scare mongering from the installer side of the industry around the use the dash cams from Aliexpress and exploding lithium cells due to heat, encouraging everyone to buy their product. I can see their point that a possibly cheap 4k system may overheat in the car, but I feel like if this was common place we would have seen it reported as parked cars bursting into flames are typically news worthy.

I'm more than happy to be proven wrong, in which case I will buy locally from a name brand.

Cheers. 

I'm looking to get something once the car is finally on the road and was considering this unit here (Viofo T130) as its low profile, multi camera etc ... not 4k but I'm not sure its needed to get the gist of things, obviously you want to be able to get a plate and have good night vision etc.

https://www.techadvisor.com/review/viofo-t130-review-3812733/

I used to build/assemble drones when they where not fashionable and buying fully assembled was still inferior.  However after CAA rule changes and DJI really making great products, I just repurposed my drone camera (which are actually just action cameras) to the cars.  Most of the action cams can be programmed to start recording when you they get power, then power down after.  I think most action cam are pretty good, my really old Xiaomi action cam is still working.  Actually bought a replacement battery for it recently as I noticed old battery has a slight bulge already.  Xiaomi, Mobius and SJCAM (real ones, lots of fake ones listed) are pretty good cameras most of them are at par with Go-Pro or better.  I think the dedicated dashcam are sleeker in design and some have the both front and reverse cam, however you can use your action cam for other things.  I have also put them on the Skyline's bumper when we did our South Island trip years ago.

You may also want to use not 4k, so you can have more footage on the sd card.  I only use 1080p, so I can get like 8 hour footage and select from there.  I only used dashcam once for an accident (it wasn't even us), a footage of an accident.  Most of the time I just hyperlapse it post-process or take cuts for from it and add them to our trip video.  Low-light performance is probably a better quality to look for.  All those local cameras are manufactured and designed in China.  Some of the Chinese products are the best you can buy, case in point DJI.  

• Like 1

I've had BlackVue in two of the cars over the past few years. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive. Image quality is excellent in HD at night even and more than good enough to read the plate from other vehicles.

I fitted both front and rear cameras myself and wired them in with PowerMagic Pros. 

• Thanks 1