Sign in to follow this  
aj46

Jamex lowering springs

Depends on how much drop you are after, they are 45-50mm according to their site. Id rather spend another $75 and get Eibach Pro-kit which is a modest drop and works well with OE sport dampers. Regardless you'd want to replace struts and shocks with something decent and new at the same time, otherwise its going to ride and handle poorly with old worn out units.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Depends on how much drop you are after, they are 45-50mm according to their site. Id rather spend another $75 and get Eibach Pro-kit which is a modest drop and works well with OE sport dampers. Regardless you'd want to replace struts and shocks with something decent and new at the same time, otherwise its going to ride and handle poorly with old worn out units.

Wouldn't you rather just get adjustable coilovers at that point if you're replacing the shocks anyway? I was considering lowering springs mostly as a cheaper way to get a drop in ride height

Personal preference I suppose.  Coilovers need cert and aren't necessary always better, depends on what you get and what you you are using the car for. My TRW struts and shock with eibach springs would cost me about $750 landed if I bought today.

• Like 1

I have some lowering springs to go in my E46 and the dilemma is always, while you're in there you might as well put in some bilsteins, new strut tops, those things that spread the weight better (so you don't get cracking or bowing - I forget the term), wheel alignment, etc, etc and it soon becomes an expensive exercise.

Is your car a motorsport? Mine is, and it already has a mild drop compared to what I can see of your profile pic. I'm going to look at an E46 at the weekend that I'm told is on Z3 springs and that thing is quite 'slammed'. Might be something to look into?

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 11:07 AM, Blackie said:

I have some lowering springs to go in my E46 and the dilemma is always, while you're in there you might as well put in some bilsteins, new strut tops, those things that spread the weight better (so you don't get cracking or bowing - I forget the term), wheel alignment, etc, etc and it soon becomes an expensive exercise.

Is your car a motorsport? Mine is, and it already has a mild drop compared to what I can see of your profile pic. I'm going to look at an E46 at the weekend that I'm told is on Z3 springs and that thing is quite 'slammed'. Might be something to look into?

Unfortunately my car is not an msport

how severe would these issues be? 

I got a set of AP Sportfahrwerke lowering springs from Speedfactor as I was wary of the trademe sets, and wanted to buy from somewhere with a warranty. Evan and the team are very knowledgeable and can help you with any questions you may have. They were $350 including shipping and have a great feel to them. They also stock shocks and struts if you're looking to do those at the same time too.

• Like 4

On 10/1/2022 at 4:09 PM, Crozzy said:

I got a set of AP Sportfahrwerke lowering springs from Speedfactor as I was wary of the trademe sets, and wanted to buy from somewhere with a warranty. Evan and the team are very knowledgeable and can help you with any questions you may have. They were $350 including shipping and have a great feel to them. They also stock shocks and struts if you're looking to do those at the same time too.

They are a Tademe set too if we're splitting hairs (a lot of places like Speedfactor list there). Rebranded KW if I recall correctly. Probably on par with most offerings. I was going to get some for my 1 series but ended up selling it.

On 9/28/2022 at 11:54 PM, aj46 said:

Wouldn't you rather just get adjustable coilovers at that point if you're replacing the shocks anyway? I was considering lowering springs mostly as a cheaper way to get a drop in ride height

Basic coilovers will cost you upwards of $2,500 once certed.

Another vote for Speedfactor in Tauranga who do AP springs (KW group German entry level product) and ST (KW group German mid range product) at excellent prices.

I ran their shocks and springs on my E46 for a while and they were good - I now run ST springs and AP shocks on my E30 - no complaints for the money.

I think their AP E46 kits are under $1000 for shocks and springs which is great value - throw in some strut and shock mounts as well while you're in there - of course you could save some money and do springs only if your shocks have been done recently but its the same amount of work / labour to do springs alone.