Sign in to follow this  
NZ_InFerno

Headlight lens replacement

Anyone know if this is available, or someone who does it in the Wellington region? 

I've done my headlights previously with a kit and they've yellowed again, was thinking of taking them to a pro but the plastic is in rough shape and probably would be better off getting a new lens put on if that's possible. 

For the 130? Assuming so then there's no ex-BMW lens kit although there might be some Taiwanese aftermarket kits but I'd consider that unlikely due to the nature of the assembly.

They're pretty thick plastic, you can sand them back a fair way, the key is then to lacquer them with UV resistant clear and they'll stay perfect for pretty-much ever. That's a two stage process though, sanded professionally (and NOT UV coated), then take them to a paint shop for (I think) 2 pack lacquer. You can probably do both stages yourself but I'm not that brave.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, M3AN said:

For the 130? Assuming so then there's no ex-BMW lens kit although there might be some Taiwanese aftermarket kits but I'd consider that unlikely due to the nature of the assembly.

They're pretty thick plastic, you can sand them back a fair way, the key is then to lacquer them with UV resistant clear and they'll stay perfect for pretty-much ever. That's a two stage process though, sanded professionally (and NOT UV coated), then take them to a paint shop for (I think) 2 pack lacquer. You can probably do both stages yourself but I'm not that brave.

Yep for the 130. 

I've seen the lenses online and had read about them being replaced. 

I was going to do that myself, I have another kit with multiple levels of sandpaper here atm and then was going to buy some 2k clear. But the lens is pitted inside so figure a new lens would get the best finish. 

I've got a voucher for a pro place that can do the headlights, so I might just take it there and see how it turns out if they can take a fair bit of sanding. 

Interesting, any thoughts on how or why they're pitted on the inside? I might be dumb on this one but I assumed any physical damage would be constrained to the exterior surface.

1 minute ago, M3AN said:

Interesting, any thoughts on how or why they're pitted on the inside? I might be dumb on this one but I assumed any physical damage would be constrained to the exterior surface.

It's got replacement halogen bulbs inside which aren't stock, my guess is they're giving off a bit of heat and over time have slightly distorted/damaged the inside of the lens. 

Or something else has got in and caused some corrosive damage, but that seems unlikely. 

• Like 1

Interesting.

If you end up going with aftermarket lens replacements please do post details of your experience, if it's good it would be worth hearing about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Not sure of @NZ_InFerno's exact experience, but I've been through a few E90's over the years, and the Xenon's are notorious for burning a ring on the inside of the plastic, had an F11 that did the same as well. It's obviously not pitting, but it looks really pitted when you look at the headlight from side on. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Neil McCauley said:

Not sure of @NZ_InFerno's exact experience, but I've been through a few E90's over the years, and the Xenon's are notorious for burning a ring on the inside of the plastic, had an F11 that did the same as well. It's obviously not pitting, but it looks really pitted when you look at the headlight from side on. 

I think my E87 has done this.  I have an obvious ring even after I polished the outsides.