Sign in to follow this  
Brent Cochrane

2014 X5 max tongue load

Hi, Dose anybody know how I can find the max tongue load for my F15 X5, it has the 3AC/233 code for INCREASED TOW CAPACITY and air suspension (7 seater).

The local BMW agent can only tell me it's 3500kg tow capacity.

Thanks

Brent

Is it not marked on the actual tow bar? I think it's 270kg across the range, but not 100%.

51 minutes ago, Brent Cochrane said:

Does anybody know how I can find the max tongue load for my F15 X5, it has the 3AC/233 code for INCREASED TOW CAPACITY and air suspension (7 seater).

Info lists the trailer nose weight which I believe is the same measure, as 170kg across all models of F15 X5 with the factory tow bar, 3AC. However, this does vary a bit depending on the build date, some are down to 140kg.

Thanks Jon,

The car is a 2014. does your info mention the 233 code as that is the important part for "increased Towing".. as opposed to 3AC normal towing.

The car came with an electric folding BMW towbar 3500kg/140kg... I thought the 140kg restriction might be because it folds.

I have taken that off and put on one with a 50mm box receiver; I was wanting 3500kg by 350kg's 

It's a USA build and as far as I know they use the 10% rule for tongue loading .. where as the Germans use 4% hence 140kg.(I'm assuming the towbar was built in Germany).

I have found two suppliers in Aus that will make a 3500/350 towbar for my car but most don't.

Here in NZ I found a place in Hastings to make one. They don't put a tongue loading on the towbar just 3500 braked 750 no brake.

Tongue weights here in NZ don't seem to be such an issue like they are in Aus.. so it's proving difficult to find out anything concrete.. 

Edited by Brent Cochrane

1 hour ago, Palazzo said:

Is it not marked on the actual tow bar? I think it's 270kg across the range, but not 100%.

Hi Palazzo, sorry I didn't see your response.. I pretty much answered that in my reply to Jon.

I think the 270kg is 10% of 2700kg which is the standard tow rating, but nothing is said what it is with 233 addon  "increased Towing". like my car has.

I cheated and googled, the info was the towball limit (not the towing limit) was the same regardless of model or increased towing capacity, pretty much as Jon listed above, my number was just bigger off something I'd read or been told at the dealer.

9 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

I cheated and googled, the info was the towball limit (not the towing limit) was the same regardless of model or increased towing capacity, pretty much as Jon listed above, my number was just bigger off something I'd read or been told at the dealer.

Thanks Palazzo.

16 hours ago, Brent Cochrane said:

I think the 270kg is 10% of 2700kg which is the standard tow rating, but nothing is said what it is with 233 addon  "increased Towing". like my car has.

The increased towing option code only changes the max towed weight from 2700kg to 3500kg braked. It doesn’t change the trailer nose weight.

Probably due to the folding tow bar design, and German engineering caution, the nose weight is not particularly high. The Aussie style box hitch design does give a much higher value.

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Probably due to the folding tow bar design, and German engineering caution, the nose weight is not particularly high. The Aussie style box hitch design does give a much higher value.

Hi Jon, That is essentially what I trying to find out, whether the car has structural limits or it's a tow bar limit. BMW cannot be specific enough about the added towing capabilities by not specifying the tongue load with the increased tow weight as the two go together.

Whilst in some situations an increase in towing capacity would give an increased nose / tongue load that is not always the case.

What I have been lead to believe is that the option code 233 beefs up certain parts of he car, mostly around the braking and cooling systems to allow for the extra work pulling and stopping another 800kg.

However, as there is no change to the tow-bar design and the suspension and weight distribution with the addition of 233 there is no change to the tongue / nose rating.

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Whilst in some situations an increase in towing capacity would give an increased nose / tongue load that is not always the case.

What I have been lead to believe is that the option code 233 beefs up certain parts of he car, mostly around the braking and cooling systems to allow for the extra work pulling and stopping another 800kg.

However, as there is no change to the tow-bar design and the suspension and weight distribution with the addition of 233 there is no change to the tongue / nose rating.

I'm starting to get the feeling that what I bought the car for, is not possible to make it legal.. it has gross combined of 6600kg which is way better than 90% of the utes out there that people use for towing. I was going on about this while buying the car at the dealer (I wanted to buy a good towing car) and was told all NZ X5's have the increased towing capacity (3500kg) and could do the job of towing the 2800kg caravan with 265kg tongue weight... but I can't now get that in writing after buying the car.

The main problem I think is tongue weight in NZ is not really talked about... but it is in Aus,  and I'm guessing insurance companies here in NZ are owed by Aus.. Which means possibly no insurance .

The internet isn't much help, a lot say 140kg, some more:

https://www.sundownercaravanhire.com.au/vehicle-towing-capacity.html#AUDI

https://parksidetowbars.com.au/TOWBAR-SUIT-BMW-X5-F15--E70-111718/8510-f2b649c0-6fcb-4971-be26-723c526c0a4a/

It looks like maybe a 50x50 detachable is heavier, but who knows? Not all NZ X5s have 3500kg bars either in my experience.

Surprisingly it doesn't mater what's printed on your towbar!

The NZ Law say's the max towing capability of your vehicle  is just guide line and you don't have to follow them. Crazy!

The two images below came from the New Zealand Transport Agency’s link .

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/glovebox-guide-safe-loading-towing/guide-safe-loading-towing/#trailer

Towbar requirments.png

Safely tow.png

Edited by Brent Cochrane
  • Like 1

Yup, I was just going to say that. It’s a manufacturers rating not a legal limit. 

I think the rule is something silly like as along as you can stop from 50km/h in 30 metres it’s all good.

Seen towing vehicles driving along pointing at the sky because the tongue load is so high from the boat / trailer / caravan being badly loaded.

I would think that towing a caravan with a nose weight of 265kg would be a nightmare, surely you would be better off balancing the Caravan properly so the nose weight is a bit more reasonable?

33 minutes ago, aja540i said:

I would think that towing a caravan with a nose weight of 265kg would be a nightmare, surely you would be better off balancing the Caravan properly so the nose weight is a bit more reasonable?

I probably will.. but that's the designed tongue load for the caravan. plus it should be more 330kg's nose weight because of the 10% rule.

Edited by Brent Cochrane

31 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I think the rule is something silly like as along as you can stop from 50km/h in 30 metres it’s all good.

It's worse than that.. it's 7m at 30km/h. That's the requirement, plus nothing is allowed to bend.

9 hours ago, Palazzo said:

The internet isn't much help, a lot say 140kg, some more:

https://www.sundownercaravanhire.com.au/vehicle-towing-capacity.html#AUDI

https://parksidetowbars.com.au/TOWBAR-SUIT-BMW-X5-F15--E70-111718/8510-f2b649c0-6fcb-4971-be26-723c526c0a4a/

It looks like maybe a 50x50 detachable is heavier, but who knows? Not all NZ X5s have 3500kg bars either in my experience.

I see the Sundowner link rates my car as 3500kg and 350kg ... That's good, I might contact them and see where they got the figures from. 

Thanks Palazzo

Edited by Brent Cochrane