Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Leaking Injectors

My notoriously unreliable X5 40d has now got another issue. This time its oil level, too much. I noticed this a couple of weeks ago and I though perhaps it was lightly over filled when I had the vacuum pump replaced. I verified on the dipstick that it was slightly over the max fill level so I siphoned out around 230mls using my little vacuum pump. I checked the dipstick and this gave me the correct level and the computer agreed. I have since done approximately 200km and the warning is back. Could I have a leaky injector what else do I need to check?

I would do a preventative oil change and check oil for contaminants (and possible get anaylised?). You should smell it if you had a leaky injector. 

• Like 1

The N57 injects extra fuel as part of the DPF burn cycle which naturally brings up the oil level, this is completely normal. When you do an oil change, just put the BMW recommended amount of oil in it. Don't use the dipstick as a guide. From memory, if you put the recommended amount in, the level sits at about half way on the dipstick.

Edited by F10er
  • Like 3

Most likely it is the DPF burn mentioned above. Certain driving patterns, ie certain journey times and distances repeatedly can cause this.

If you had an injector leaking that bad to over-fill the sump I would suggest there would also be plenty of smoke out of the exhaust, especially on start-up. Probably black, but also possibly white.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, F10er said:

The N57 injects extra fuel as part of the DPF burn cycle which naturally brings up the oil level, this is completely normal. When you do an oil change, just put the BMW recommended amount of oil in it. Don't use the dipstick as a guide. From memory, if you put the recommended amount in, the level sits at about half way on the dipstick.

Very common, not just on BMWs. Some Mazdas have a secondary mark above full to indicate when the "contaminated" oil level is too high and an oil change recommended.

I wonder how much the malfunctioning EGR has had effected this.