Sign in to follow this  
C-130 Hercules

Solved / sheared off threaded panel stud

Hi all

So, I guess I should have been more careful but ended up shearing off a panel stud on the wife's Benz. 

Any suggestions, how I could 'fix' this? 

IMG_20230109_193103.jpg

IMG_20230109_191620.jpg

Edited by C-130 Hercules
Spelling

You could drill that out and replace it with a Rivet Nut and loctite in a threaded rod into the rivnut to replace the factory item. I'm not familiar with the broken piece but it looks like a retained threaded mount , which the rivnut could replace. This is assuming you don't want to grind it off and get a complete replacement to weld on.

Exactly like that. Brilliant piece of kit, i love mine and have stocked up on alloy inserts. Avoid the stainless inserts with the cheaper handsets as they are typically beyond the capability of the tool and designed for the pneumatic versions. If you haven't used one before I would suggest a couple of test runs in a spare metal plate to get used to the feeling of a well seated insert. 

• Thanks 1

I got a couple from AliExpress, extra inserts also came from AliExpress. But you can use a bolt with a nut on it to tighten down the insert so the tool is not strictly speaking needed. Pretty sure enco fasteners in east tamaki sell these, but cheap ones from trademe will do the trick.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/building-renovation/tools/hand-tools/other/listing/3942308129

This looks like a good deal and comes with the alloy inserts.

• Thanks 1

Machinery house do a pretty reasonable kit that comes with some inserts, the tool has heads for rivnuts and normal rivets as well.

https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/n001

The tool can be a bit fiddly to use, the head has a habit of unscrewing itself, but you just need to keep an eye on it and nip it up if it starts coming loose.

• Thanks 1

Went with the machinery house option as from experience with the basic riveting tool it can be tricky to apply force and have the rivet/nut stay properly seated. 

IMG_20230111_153257.jpg

IMG_20230111_155546.jpg

IMG_20230111_181305.jpg

IMG_20230111_181329.jpg

IMG_20230111_163323.jpg

IMG_20230111_163331.jpg

IMG_20230111_163353.jpg

• Like 4