Sign in to follow this  
treone

E24 6 Series - Barn Find

Quite enjoy these videos...

Edited by treone
  • Like 3

Watched that today over lunch, interesting to hear how the coupes were assembled. 

Sadly a crusty shed.  When I lived there '98-'01, the large proportion of E24s were falling off the road in UK due to their love of ferreting away water and salt.  It was already getting hard to find a solid one.  The only thing going for this is that it's been in a dry garage, and has a nice interior.

Back around '01, big coupe people (BMW Drivers Club and some forum folk) dreamt aloud of E9s (for example over a pint on a club run), though even then they were only for brave folks with deep pockets and a talented restorer on-hand due to extra crustiness.  E24 was the thinking bloke's alternative, though again needed committment, a thousand-yard stare, and a talent for welding in most cases.

Excellent story (he said modestly) of a similar (though not crusty) genuine barn find E24 635CSi in BMW Car Club NZ DIXI Magazine a few years ago covering the discovery, investigation, disinterment, and reinvigoration of an NZ-new Wellington car that had been off the road for about ten years.  I was honoured to pilot it to/from Brit & Euro day in Trentham before it was sold on.  Lovely cars!  @Autoglym did it proud, and found the right owner to take it forward.

01_RFP9891_5000_300dpi_adobeRGB.thumb.jpg.d960a5fbfdef7525bdcb43eca3902033.jpg

Figure 1:  @Autoglym unearthling Barney the Barn Find in the heart of Mt Victoria.

Edited by Olaf

PS - I liked the Mill (later Milcars I think) BMW dealer decal on the back window.  I used to buy parts from Milcars (Temple Fortune) in Golders Green as it was the closest dealer to me, and their parts department were really helpful.  

These days they're Mercedes-Benz of Temple Fortune.

Can relate to recommissioning a ‘barn find’ 😎

The Rover SD1 Vitesse vid is a good watch too a thought these we sooo cool back in the day!

• Like 1