Sign in to follow this  
low320i

help with elec windows on e30

hay all finally got the 320 back on the road on saterday everything seems ok apart from the leaking manifold :banghead: and some wierd vibrating sound under load but no biggy.

my problem is my power windows they were working fine went to a mates place puut them up and when i went to leave they wouldnt work at all doesnt matter what window or button is used.

is this a common problem ? any ideas az to whats wrong iv checked the fuses under the bonnet they seem fine is there any more ?

cheers all

Check the power window relay for shitty contacts etc. Replace with a known good one to check.

What model 320? E46? E36? E30?

I had the problem that they would go down but not up, found out it was the switch, the plastic had melted over the one of the contacts inside the switch so i cut the plastic back but then a few weeks later it died again so I brought a new one $70ech inc postage for the illuminated ones.

Edited by M325is

Can some one be so kind to pm me with which relay controls the power windows?? thanks also is it this blue one or the orange? THANKS!!

hay cheers for the replys i dont think its the switch cause they worked mint (well drivers one was abit slow going up) then they just died thinking more a fuse or relay.

where would i find this relay jochen? its a 320i e30 87 manual

its just really bugging me cause i carnt get any window down and iv just got it back on the road after fitting the new motor.

Hi,

Here's how it works:

Power comes to the relay pin30 from vehicle terminal 30u on a RED wire.

Exist on a GREEN/RED (or GREY/RED) wire and goes to the POWER SAFETY SWITCH - this will be an overload switch or circuit breaker for the electric windows.

Exits the power safety switch on a RED wire and then is distributed to all the electric window switches as a RED wire.

So:

1. Pull out a window switch, measure if you have 12V on the RED wire.

2. If no power, suspect the Power safety Switch or Relay or fuse.

3. Fuse number 17 (30A) is the electric window fuse. Check it is OK. Meausre for 12V power at the fuse socket.

4. If OK, check the Power Safety Switch - measure for 12V either side of the switch.

5. If OK, you have a break between the satey switch and the window switches. If not OK, check the relay (which one? don't know) and the wiring to the safety switch.

The POWER SAFETY SWITCH is located on the kick panel under the dash.

PS: I have never worked on one of these cars, I have never fixed this problem. But I'd like to, it would be easy.

All of the above information was Googled from the 'net.

Search, and you will find.

long live Google!

Jochen

The window relay for the doors/when they open and the car is off is located below the driver side speaker behind the kick panel.

The main relay is in the fuse box.

And I presume that either a) your car does not have the power-window cut-off switch, or b ) you have already checked this???

It is a switch located on the centre console ahead of the window switches - there are often two - one disables rear windows only, the other all windows.

Yuo may have simply bumped this switch?? or perhaps the wires have fallen off? May be a simple fix.

K.I.S.S. principle.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

ok update just checked the fuse with power tester its fine power there but no power at the swith so must be the circuit breaker will check when the rain stops.

iv only got the one window kill switch for the rear and its all hooked up had to fix it when i got the car.

should i hear the relays clicking anything like that is there a way to check them?

cheers get back to you soon

ok fuse 17 is fine and has power, k7 relay next to it has power tryed swaping for another relay no difference so guessing the relay itself is fine,

is the circuit breaker the black plastic box down inside the gard below the speaker by the gas pedal? how do i reset/test it?

also carnt find the second relay by drivers front speaker (kick panel) could it be somewhere else ?

ooo sh*t think i got my wires crossed when you guys say theres a circuit breaker switch do you mean the kiddy lock button ? small black one by the window controls up front

if so thats fine and when unpluged it only stops the rear windows in mine not all 4

oooooooooo god dam it ffs thats what it was i just pushed it and there fine again.

i throught that was just a spare button for extras to be wired up to i remember pushing it now but didnt think anything of it cause nothing happend :banghead: :banghead:

thank you to everybody that helped even tho i guess i never really had a problem lol