Dear all,

I'm trying to get a plug-in hybrid for the wife and she kinda like the idea of driving the 330e.

The ones that we're looking at are the 2016/2017 models.... 

Any owners of those models here? 

What are the general thoughts of everybody here about the car?

Specifically... 

1) How practical is it as a daily drive?

2) Any particular trouble that plagues this model?

3) Any difference in the 2016 and the 2017 models of 330e ? (I believe there was a facelift

at some point?)

4) Does the M package in the 330e worth paying the extra money for?

and lastly.... 

5) Is there any "go-to" workshop/servicing outlets (in Auckland) that members here go to that would 

also preferably do a pre-purchase inspection if we finally have our eyes set on something...?

Thanks a lot in advance guys?

Cheers!

Ash 

Also interested.  Once my car sells I'm seriously considering a 330e.  Would love to get a 530e or 740e but can't justify the extra 10-20k price tag.

I'd definitely go M package or sport line because of the seats.

This is quite cool, but I don't think I would want to pay the premium over a regular M sport:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/330e/listing/4016583081

Edited by GorGasm

@Arsony short answers:

1. Very, I got around 45km range from a charge which was enough to get to work and back for two days. Also good economy on longer runs with petrol plus electric regeneration.

2. Boot space is a little reduced due to batteries under the floor. Other generic F30 issues could still apply. I’ve not heard of any specific HV electric issues.

3. LCI was in late 2015 which would be the major update, so 16&17 models would have that. There were continual updates (three times per year) to all models but relatively minor. 

4. Yes definately, 99% of NZ new were M-Sport for a good reason. More equipment, better looking, etc.

5. Not sure how much experience of this model the independents would have. If it’s just general servicing  they would be all good, anything connected to the HV electrical side could be tricky.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Also interested.  Once my car sells I'm seriously considering a 330e.  Would love to get a 530e or 740e but can't justify the extra 10-20k price tag.

I'd definitely go M package or sport line because of the seats.

This is quite cool, but I don't think I would want to pay the premium over a regular M sport:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/330e/listing/4016583081

Now THAT is a real looker!

8 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

@Arsony short answers:

1. Very, I got around 45km range from a charge which was enough to get to work and back for two days. Also good economy on longer runs with petrol plus electric regeneration.

2. Boot space is a little reduced due to batteries under the floor. Other generic F30 issues could still apply. I’ve not heard of any specific HV electric issues.

3. LCI was in late 2015 which would be the major update, so 16&17 models would have that. There were continual updates (three times per year) to all models but relatively minor. 

4. Yes definately, 99% of NZ new were M-Sport for a good reason. More equipment, better looking, etc.

5. Not sure how much experience of this model the independents would have. If it’s just general servicing  they would be all good, anything connected to the HV electrical side could be tricky.

Jon, 

Thank you for the reply... so in short what you're saying ... to quote..

"Other generic F30 issues could still apply" - What I'm looking out for actually are major issues along the lines of eg DSG gearbox failure in Audi

" LCI was in late 2015 which would be the major update, so 16&17 models would have that" - What's LCI ? And are you saying that essentially there 

is no difference between the cars in those 2 years of manufacture?

"99% of NZ new were M-Sport for a good reason" - I would think so ... i have not studied the actual additional features it brings to 

the car but other than cosmetics, (eg bigger rims, different bodykit, different interior and steering wheel) in terms of functionality or specs,

does it add to anything? 

"If it’s just general servicing  they would be all good," -  understood... but is there any one you know that does good pre-purchase inspection?

Thanks guys!' (And don't worry about giving giving frank answers and suggestions/opinions.... I wont hold you to it!) 

Cheers!

Arsony

@Arsony the 330e only came out after the facelift (LCI in BMW-speak) in late 2015, the pre-facelift hybrid was a series hybrid with 6 cyl petrol engine (ActiveHybrid 3). The 2017 cars will probably have Carplay able to be activated through software (idrive 5) if that matters to you (you can tell because the screen has 'tiles' rather than a vertical menu.

Electric range will be worse with bigger wheels (19's on the top M-sport), mechanically the cars will all be the same M-sport or not. The fuel tank is pretty small (40L vs 58L in the non hybrid) so your open road range might only be 500ish ks. F30's are pretty solid. Have heard of some issues with fuel tank cap release (it's pressurised in the 330e) and some HV battery issues. The ZF 8-speed is a good gearbox. BM Workshop or one of the main dealers likely your best bet for a PPI

Hi @Arsony, I purchased a 2016 330e MSport LCI last year and it’s been reasonably trouble free apart from the Auxillary battery crapped itself - $500ish later for a new one and labour / fitting.

As stated above the fuel door is ‘sticky’ and my one seems like someone has tried to force it open in the past. 

I was told when getting a PPI done by the local BMW dealership that getting the main EV battery tested would require a week of their time to ‘stress’ test it. You can’t get a battery health check like you can with a Leaf apparently. Also note any mechanical warranty won’t cover the main EV battery, if that goes you are on your own unless it’s still under warranty?

Our charged electric range is 22kmish in Winter, 28-30km in Summer. Averaged 6 liters /100kms on a 800km road trip over Summer.  

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys for all the advice and guidance. 

Looks like overall it's a good all rounder and of good value. 

Now it's all up to the wife to decide! 

Arsony

P.S ... Do you guys have any regular meetup or drive sessions ? Especially those in Auckland.. 

Edited by Arsony