Sign in to follow this  
PHAT 89 BEMA

>>>Air Flow Meter Problem<<<

hi, my air flow meter is acting funny, when i drive around for a long time or go on a trip(Taumarunui - Taupo 1 1/4Hour) it wants to rev at about 2,000RPM or more when idoling & some times when i pull up at the lights or stop at a stop sign it wants to cut out (500RPM)??? i took it to a electrician & he put it on his diagnostic machine & it come up with air flow meter(it looks like some one before me has been playing with it coz it has silicon around it, i just wanted to know if you can get them fixed? if you can does anyone know how much it would cost & where to go & if not can i buy a new one?? :D

In short no.

Unless the numbers on both the AFM's match up. Which is highly unlikely.

The afm's are matched to the ecu. The track used by the afm have different resistance values at different points along the track. Aim, to replace the afm with a 320i afm.

The position of the afm arm and spring loading of the afm may have been fiddled with from the previous owner (I take it). This would make your car run like hairy poos.

Find the resistance of the afm at rest, then compare it against another afm. This will tell you that whether or not the arm is starting at the right resistance. Once you have done this the only other varible is the spring constant. There should be a white 'twink looking' mark. This is where the spring should be set at.

clean the tracks and adjust the contact points on the flap to sweep on a 'new' area of the tracks. did this with my rancid bosch crap on the pug, made a world of difference. have some pics from another dude in the u.k that suggested this to me. afms are salvageable 90% of the time

hi thanks for all that info i will pull it off & check every thing is allright & give it a clean, i did buy another one off trade me, it had the same numbers on it as my one did, so i put it on & it was making the engine miss in the morning so i put my old one back on (dont know why that was?) the guy that i brought it off said it was in good condition.

HEY pug'n did you still have those pic from that other guy in the UK?

if you do can you send them to akatipa@hotmail.com please :D

i have afm from 89 320i and 89 520i etc .

021433600 ah

whilst trying to find the thread i made on this which contained the pics, i happened across this page. alot more info there no doubt.

http://frwilk.com/944dme/afm.htm

have a go, can only f**k it up i guess :P and if you've got a spare AFM.... what do you really have to lose

edit: nopt specific for bmws obviously, but bosch afms are all generic

also, note at the bottom of the page

Changing the Spring Tension of an AFM

Dont do it! Never change the tension of the spring on your AFM. You will destroy the calibration of your AFM. The AFM is laser trimmed to a fine tolerance by BOSCH.

;)

Edited by pug'n

thanks ill have a go opening my spear one but it looks like ill f**k it up lol so i might take it to a sparky.

would the AFM have any think to do with slow reaction, when i plant my foot right down on the gas pedal it would take about 1sec to start reving up???

and when i turn my A/C on it would rev at about 2,000 RPM & it takes along time for the revs to jrop

for ex: i would turn the A/C on and it would go up to 2,000RPM & then i would give it some gas (not in gear) it would take a very long time to got back to 2,000?

thanks