gsr_04

BMW E46 / RTAB Tool

Hello everyone, hope all is well.

I'm currently in the works of replacing the bushings on my E46 chassis and have found that the rear trailing arm bushings have shot at 180,000kms.

Two are to be replaced which is not too hard but the tool required isn't common so I was wondering if anyone on the forum would know any shops in Auckland that would have this particular tool for hire?

904592_x600.jpg

Purchasing a $150 tool (80 + shipping from UK/EU) for a one-off job seems a bit overkill. 

Any knowledge in regards to this would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you so much!

Dont think any workshop would rent anything out in the unlikely event they would have it.

Dont really need a special tool though. You can make something up via M12 8.8 rod, washers, nuts, steel plate, pipe offcuts etc, or buy something like that you can use for other jobs too - https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/repair-kits/listing/4432809073

Thanks for the reply!

It seems like other owners (as seen on forums) use a 60mm/2" cup to repress the bushing back in; although not ideal as it compresses the rubber somewhat but it seems to be fine.

I don't own an angle grinder or a complete workshop so I think I'll buy the 27 piece bushing removal kit, it would be useful in the future if I were to tackle any other similar bushings as such.

It's surprising that there aren't any shops that have a bushing removal tool for hire in Auckland!

$200 here we go 🙂

2 minutes ago, gsr_04 said:

It's surprising that there aren't any shops that have a bushing removal tool for hire in Auckland!

There probably is but most shops don't really need them as they would just use generic tools\parts to do the job. I do the majority bushings with the above, wheel bearing press kit, ball joint press kit and various 1\2" sockets.  

• Like 1

That kit is good and you can also do wheel bearings. For that you'll need to make yourself a 84 or 86mm sleeve though as the max in the kit is 82 from memory. 

15 hours ago, C-130 Hercules said:

That kit is good and you can also do wheel bearings. For that you'll need to make yourself a 84 or 86mm sleeve though as the max in the kit is 82 from memory. 

The 27 piece kit looks to cover most things, although I think for wheel bearing yes as you say you'll need a dedicated socket or puller for it as most wheel bearing are much bigger than 80mm nowadays.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 6:11 PM, Eagle said:

Dont think any workshop would rent anything out in the unlikely event they would have it.

Dont really need a special tool though. You can make something up via M12 8.8 rod, washers, nuts, steel plate, pipe offcuts etc, or buy something like that you can use for other jobs too - https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/repair-kits/listing/4432809073

Just did the RTAB on my E86 Z4 with this tool, worked really well, so another vote for this.