Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

E30 odometer gears/Motometer

Best place to get these? Garagistic seems like the go? Anywhere local and reasonable?

And maybe I should add, how do I tell A or B without the cluster out? Impossible?

Seems like something that would be cheaper on ebay especially shipping costs. 

Let me check what I have here - I know I have at least two sets of gears. And if I don't have what you need, I'll forward details of a reliable NZ source.

The only way to be sure what you need is to remove the cluster from your car. VDO clusters do have 'VDO' on the front, but (as was the case with our car) people will replace a non-working cluster with anything they can find. So a VDO-badged cluster may have a Motometer speedo in it. And there is no way to tell without pulling the cluster and checking.

1 hour ago, gjm said:

Let me check what I have here - I know I have at least two sets of gears. And if I don't have what you need, I'll forward details of a reliable NZ source.

The only way to be sure what you need is to remove the cluster from your car. VDO clusters do have 'VDO' on the front, but (as was the case with our car) people will replace a non-working cluster with anything they can find. So a VDO-badged cluster may have a Motometer speedo in it. And there is no way to tell without pulling the cluster and checking.

Great. Dad has just told me that the local mechanic has replaced the cluster 2-3 times because the odo gears stopped working, I’ve just told him today to replace the gears.

So we could have anything despite it saying Motometer on the front?

1 hour ago, Palazzo said:

Great. Dad has just told me that the local mechanic has replaced the cluster 2-3 times because the odo gears stopped working, I’ve just told him today to replace the gears.

So we could have anything despite it saying Motometer on the front?

Yup.

Ours has a VDO-branded cluster, and a Motometer speedo unit. Someone had done something with it before, and actually superglued the gears to the spindles. That made life 'interesting' but it's sorted now.

Pulling the cluster isn't a huge job. Apparently it can be done with the steering wheel in place, but I'd take it out.

Problem is the car is in Wellington and I’m in Auckland. 
So to cover all bases, I would need to buy type an and b Motometer and a set of VDO gears? 

19 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

Problem is the car is in Wellington and I’m in Auckland. 
So to cover all bases, I would need to buy type an and b Motometer and a set of VDO gears? 

Sadly, to be certain - yes. I may have an answer - I'll PM you.

While I'm at it, best place to get SI board batteries and are there different types?