Sign in to follow this  
TronSpec

92 non-vanos M50 2.5 swap

My old motor finally f.,cked out on the weekend. Went down to watch some drifting at pukekohe. Kained it there then did sum skids in the wet paddock sitting on limiter for a while. Then it developed a bad miss and wouldn't run properly all the way back to ngunguru out by tutukaka. Then the next morning tried to start and go to work. Wouldnt start. Wanted to but just wouldn't keep running when let starter go. So pushed started it that morning and after a few attempts finally got it goin. Now that miss was even worse and it was coughing and spluttering hard out. So got to work and then that after noon it electric started no worries. Go to start it for work that morning and it wounldnt start again. Gave it a compression test after work that night and I had nothing or very low in #3 and 6. Pulled my plugs and they all soaked in oil. Cleaned and put back in but still wouldn't run by itself.

So yeah time to do the swap. I have the motor and it's being serviced (plugs, water pump with metal impaler, therm, oil filt you know just the usual). All I need to get are my e36 325i mounting arms and e28 535i mounts, e21 brake booster, e43 throttle cable and the bottom half of the exhaust manifold that has the flanges on it so I can cut and modify it to fit round my steering univeral. I also want to go to a e36 steering rack so my m50 power steering lines bolt up and have better turn ratio (sounds like a good mod).

Just got to find the money for the parts and some where to do it. :mosh:

Also if anybody happens to be selling any of the above needed parts PM me.

Reason for non vanos??

Cheap, Less hassle with wiring, stronger rods, future forced induction plans. :rambo:

Started on my swap today. got it allready to pull out tommorow after picking up engine crane

Everything is going straight forward but when I came to put the e36 alloy mounting arms on I run into this problem. I can't figure out how to get the left hand side e34 arm off over the oil dipstick tube. I have released the tube brace but do not know how to get it to come off where the sump is or move out far enough to slide the arm up over the top of it. See Picture attached. advice on this would be greatly appreiciated.

For those that are interested. Pic of my motor before I put it in

Hey , Do you still need a e36 power steer rack?

why the hell does it have an S50US valve cover?

My thoughts exactly

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

I think it looks better than the standard "BMW" valve cover. What are every body's thoughts??

Guest Spargo

My initial thought is you're not the first in NZ to do this swap.

Also, are you sure that you're using an E34 motor? If you're using an E36 motor without swapping the oil pan and dipstick etc over, that would explain why the dipstick tube is hitting your E36 engine mount.

Gary - it is an e36 motor isn't it? Did you remember to get the e34 oil pan etc? (there's a couple of other e34 bits you need)

Sam - not sure I follow - e36 mounts shouldn't foul e36 dipstick?

But without it in front of me I'm not sure what the solution is.

I like the mpower rocker cover - but it is in the same vein as a m badge etc.

Guest Spargo

Gah, I didn't read the thread right. - The damned valve cover threw me.

Just give it a pull man, it'll come free.

Sweet. yeah I know I ain't the first to do the swap in new zealand..

It's definatly a e34 motor. Apparently I have to mount the e36 arms towards the back of the block a little on similar looking bolt mounts as the e34 arms. Yeah sweet as pulled the dipstick and the e34 arm is off. Problem solved. Will through in a new o ring when I put the dipstick tube back on. Does anybody know how many e30 m50 swaps have being done in new zealand?

Guest Andrew

Does anybody know how many e30 m50 swaps have being done in new zealand?

Lots.. and lots. Has been a common swap for a while.

Lots.. and lots. Has been a common swap for a while.

Why arn't there many e30 with m50's around then andrew??

Guest Andrew

Why arn't there many e30 with m50's around then andrew??

Because they aren't all members of this site - and it's an expensive swap with very little power gain.

There are.. 3 on this site i'm sure? A few floating round in Auckland - more floating around that i've heard of.

Because they aren't all members of this site - and it's an expensive swap with very little power gain.

It's not an expensive swap at all. The dearest part is the motor. so far my swaps cost me about $2300 incl motor few other bit's and pieces and I'm doing it all myself using interent as resource.

And as far as little power gains. My car is a old knackered 320i 5spd with farkall compression. 60-120hp maybe. And I'm putting a 2.5 twin cam 24v 151,000 well looked after kms. 150-190hp maybe. Chip, exhaust, filter = excellent reliable efficient daily driver. Which is what I wanted. Maybe when I'm making more money I'll look at forced induction or swapping a s50 or s52 motor but for now I should be happy.

Has anybody being in a m50ed e30? How do they go?

Guest Andrew

It's not an expensive swap at all. The dearest part is the motor. so far my swaps cost me about $2300 incl motor few other bit's and pieces and I'm doing it all myself using interent as resource.

And as far as little power gains. My car is a old knackered 320i 5spd with farkall compression. 60-120hp maybe. And I'm putting a 2.5 twin cam 24v 151,000 well looked after kms. 150-190hp maybe. Chip, exhaust, filter = excellent reliable efficient daily driver. Which is what I wanted. Maybe when I'm making more money I'll look at forced induction or swapping a s50 or s52 motor but for now I should be happy.

Has anybody being in a m50ed e30? How do they go?

Fair enough - sounds like your doing it for all the same reasons I would.

Jontye30 - has done the swap. Conrod is swapping an S52 into his e30 currently.

Jontye30 - has done the swap. Conrod is swapping an S52 into his e30 currently.

Badass. That would be a fast car. Yeah JOntye30 has being helping me with a few things on my swap. Good to see people actually getting down to it. Heaps of people just talk about it but don't knuckle down carry it through...

Be Interested to see how that s52 performs. :rambo:

It is an S50 I am fitting, the S52 is the US spec. M3 engine. I have driven a couple of M50 2.5 powered E30's - they went okay, not mind blowingly fast, but a little bit better than say a good M20 2.5.

Edited by conrod

It is an S50 I am fitting, the S52 is the US spec. M3 engine. I have driven a couple of M50 2.5 powered E30's - they went okay, not mind blowingly fast, but a little bit better than say a good M20 2.5.

Interesting. Thanks COnrod

sh*t man your car's going to go allright to. Are you doing any other mods to your engine?

I have made some underdrive pulleys,will get a lightweight flywheel, and am going to dry sump it. I may throw in a set of Schrick cams, and will get the ECU reflashed. Otherwise it will be as stock as a rock!

...And a bloody great c/f airbox. You know you want to.

sure do, but that is another story, and we are way OT now!

Finally got the motor bolted in. Just need to wire everything up. I have used the wiring adaptor from treehouseracing.com so I can just plug and play my wiring harness into my old body plug to retain my engine check system and dme. The m50 was diffinatly a tight as fit. Took alot of manourving to get it to sit down on the engine mounts properly. As far as my exhaust system goes i'm going to get custom extractors made up out of mandral bent steam tubing just for the time being.