Sign in to follow this  
Mop

E60/E61 towbar advice wanted

Hi all,
I need a towbar for loan trailers (carting timber and gravel etc) and my E61 makes the most sense of our two cars. Seems to be two options; the NZ lockon permanent style or Westfalia detachable - if you can find one.
I have an Msport so I think the lockon type needs a hole cut, but can’t find any pictures of how tidy this looks. Tried a couple of towbar places but they don’t seem to know what is required, presumably they sort it out on the day. Westfalia would be great but struggling to find one and I would also need to source the splitter with the hole and removable cover for the bumper - pushes the cost and difficulty to find up significantly it seems.
Budget is up to $1k, cheaper the better and happy to fit and wire myself to save some cash with one of the canbus relays available now. Have found used lockon types already for $150-300 but just nervous about what the install ends up looking like… anyone happen to have one or have a picture by any chance?
Appreciate any help/advice

Edited by Mop

The lock on version may need the diffuser cut slightly but shouldn’t need bumper cut (see first image). I have the westfalia on my f31 and that just needed heatshield trimming but it does appear to need a bigger cut on the e60/1. SD European in Hamilton was where I got my towbar from (used). The generic relays cause all sorts of problems with the canbus system on the e60 (flat battery, led errors) so well worth pting the extra for a bmw specific version imo. 

IMG_0107.jpeg

IMG_0108.jpeg

I got my Westfalia used from SD European also, it was on an E60 but they are the same. I got the trailer module from the same car so no issues with wiring / coding etc, I think I paid $600? The undertray needs a hole cut for the removable bar, and the bottom of the splitter needs a bit cut out (diy) and you can just buy the little clip on cover for when you are not using it.

Ran with a used lock on style I found locally on Facebook in the end, gave it a spruce up with a spray can and it has fitted up nicely. Couldn’t find a removable style anywhere except importing new for stupid money. Had to cut the splitter to fit it, it’s actually quite a bit - something like 90 x 150mm I reckon as the splitter extends under so far. Not noticeable with the towbar there though, I didn’t need to worry.

Got a relay included (used) with the bar, had to dust off the multimeter to work it all out but got there in the end. The wiring was by far the most fiddly/difficult bit, but would’ve been much easier with the original instructions no doubt…