Only118d

Newby with 118d

Hello Bimmersport world, I wasn’t planning on joining team BMW as they always seemed too expensive and complicated for me (but fantastic cars).    However a friend was selling his 2016 118d F20 after being deported/relocated to the West Island (Australia) and I have got to like the 118d a lot.  Although I have always hankered for an M car especially after seeing an M5 wagon (the V10 version) at Continental Cars Parts department the other day and the M3 CS at CC-BMW looks the business but $283,000 although East Auckland BMW has one for $270,500.   

The 118d it is a nice package for not much money.     She has done a few kms (150k) so I am working through a list of maintenance items to attend to (I will be posting a few questions if I can find answers already in the forum).  I am hoping on getting 300k out of it before anything major is required (optimistic?). 

I am more familiar on running pre 2000 Japanese cars (WRX, MX5, Corolla, Demio,…) which all need 6month WOFs and don’t have OBDII so the 118d is quite different.  (See my separate post on fixing my disappearing iDrive).

The 118d has the ZF 8speed Auto which seems a fantastic gearbox both to use and own/maintain.  It is my first auto so hopefully I can get my iDrive back so my left hand has something to do, other than changing the Drive Mode button (another great feature).  Do some cars have steering wheel paddles for manual gear changes with these gearboxes? 

I am not sure about the run flat tyres and I will probably look to change them if that makes sense…..although no spare wheel location. 

A diesel engine is also a new thing for me, so lots to learn about these and EGR and DPF and dodgy timing chains (or is that just the N47 and not the B47)

I am looking to get the engine uprated to 165 kW / 450 Nm at Autoupgrades.co.nz on the North Shore. 

This would make the 118d almost as quick as my WRX but with half the fuel cost. 

This is more than just a rechip and seems like excellent value. 

Although I still need to research brake capacity and transmission strength etc. 

They also do a gearbox reprogram for the ZF 8 speed for quicker/better changes.   

When and if I do this I will report back. 

That’s probably enough waffle from me at this stage and I look forward to using the Bimmersport NZ Forum in the future. 

Only a 118d.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum!

I follow a BMW expert mechanic on YouTube and also a retired racing drive/car reviewer who won a fair number of races and they both highly rate 118d as an entry level fun car that's so fun to drive around tracks. The 4 cylinder engine sitting right close to the centre of the car definitely helps to make it more fun. 

I come from late 1990 - early 2000 Jap cars (Ek9, NA Mx-5, CL1, WRX, 350Z etc) so buying E87 130i was a bit of leap of faith but so far I'm loving how nice it is to drive. I thought mk5 GTI is a bit of step up from Japanese cars but this is another step up from VW.

I hope you enjoy your new car and let us know how it's like to drive before/after tune!

Thanks Danch for the welcome.

And apologies to everyone in advance as i have so many questions......

Welcome!

Stick with RFTs, unless you like the idea of no boot space from carrying a spare, a jack and wheel brace etc.  RFTs are consistently improving; the suspension is tuned for them...

On 2/27/2024 at 10:58 PM, Olaf said:

Welcome!

Stick with RFTs, unless you like the idea of no boot space from carrying a spare, a jack and wheel brace etc.  RFTs are consistently improving; the suspension is tuned for them...

Thanks Olaf for the feedback on RFTs.  

• Thanks 1

I'm a comparatively recent convert to RFT.  My tyre guy looked at me and said "why wouldn't you?" (in context of a vehicle built to run on RFT, no spare, no jack, no space) - and gave me the "are you really that stupid?" look.  It's all great with tyre goo and a compressor until you have a triangular hole in your sidewall, and you're two days away from a replacement tyre!

My X3 came on the wrong tyres - non-RFT in the wrong size, though they were the right rating.  Got factory Dunlop RFTs.  They were a bit odd, though okay - better than the originals.  When I replaced them with Bridgestone S-001 RFTs the difference was substantial.  Quieter, better riding, better grip - particularly in the wet - and more progressive.  HTH.

Thanks Olaf for the extra info and your timing is perfect.  

I happened to check the tyre depths on the 118d and the rears (245/40R17) are getting low.    

The car is actually already fitted with Bridgestone Potenza S001 (RFT) both ends so it is great to hear they are good.  

I will look to refit the S001/RFT on the rear although they are $400 each (about double what i am used to spending).  

PS i am not looking forward to using the tire goo if i have to....

Front tyres.jpg

I’m running s001 run flats on my F31 and they have excellent longevity, more than 40000k on them and they’re still on 4mm front / 3.5 rear

42 minutes ago, balancerider said:

I’m running s001 run flats on my F31 and they have excellent longevity, more than 40000k on them and they’re still on 4mm front / 3.5 rear

Thanks for that and I am certainly now convinced the S001 is the way to go.   I just need to find them at a good price.   

• Like 1

Try Costco, they stock Bridgestone.