nath

Clutch Delay Valve ('lock valve')

My '98 B3 with B3/M3 420g transmission has a really bitey clutch engagement which you have to be good with, every-single-time you pull away lest the car stall or chirp.

I see that M3 Evo's had a delay/lock 'valve' which seems to be just a flow restrictor. From most of what I read, this would provide a more smooth engagement for my Sunday morning café trips. Whole setup is new (probably 1000km) including dual mass flywheel.

My question is, could a valve help, or is it just because I have aftermarket clutch and flywheel installed? Both are some version of OEM spec, as lazy/heavy as I could find.

Thanks

Nath

Sounds like a clutch\flywheel issue to me. Never had any issues like you describe with OE spec parts. Im running OE E36 M3 clutch\flywheel on my E46, its heavier and lower engagement point than stock but its just as smooth and easier to modulate with no CDV or self adjusting pressure plate.

What is the setup you are running?

I removed the CDV from my M3, much like every other owner has, and would never go back. A CDV means you can never be precisely sure when the clutch will fully engage which is disconcerting and ultimately more difficult to drive, especially on or near the limit. Removing it does however mean that the clutch is less forgiving but once you have the necessary muscle memory that shouldn't be an issue. Having said this, even without the CDV you still have some 'room', it's hardly a 3-puck race clutch.

16 hours ago, M3AN said:

Removing it does however mean that the clutch is less forgiving but once you have the necessary muscle memory that shouldn't be an issue. Having said this, even without the CDV you still have some 'room', it's hardly a 3-puck race clutch.

This reflects my experience. I just really don't drive my car like I stole it, or push out the revs. Perhaps the next owner may want to but I prefer the intrinsic aspects of the car, and replacing/fixing things which need it. She basically runs from her storage to my house and back once a week or fortnight with a coffee in between. I did take her to Coromandel a couple months back which was a painful drive in the end- should have taken the 'cruiser.

I've got the S6S420G on a E36 with a 6.5kg single-mass flywheel and never had any restricter (and until now didn't even know it was an option). While I initially found it a bit more challenging and less forgiving than a typical manual (had been driving auto for years) it wasn't at all that bad. What I really like about the box/clutch combo is how easy it is to change when you do drive it like you stole it. At higher RPM (5000-7000) you can just smash it through the gears and it's reasonably forgiving to minor clutch timing errors. What I don't like about it is, if you're not driving it like you stole you it, you have to give gear changes just that little bit extra respect which means slower change times. I really want a DCT...

Edited by wrs