Xander

2000 BMW 540i E39

I need help and an opinion on a project car, bought a 2000 e39 528i two years ago and spent some time and money on it but realised it is the wrong car to start out with due to a power aspect, what would you do?

How much would you envision would be for a 540 base and transfer the necessary parts from my factory manual 528i (not msport and was looking at centres caps also for $200 something), see below for reference.

I saw this listing you may be interested in: 2000 BMW 540i E39 https://www.trademe.co.nz/4651519748

Do you think it would be worth it?

Buy a msport 530i and swap the manual bits into it. Not quite as fast as a 540i but way more reliable, better handling and you can use most of the parts from your 528i (540i mostly limited to interior, exterior and rear suspension parts from 528i). The average auto 540i is too much of a ticking timing bomb with timing chain guides, unreliable transmissions as well as the usual E39 issues. So unless its been owned by someone like @hqstu or someone who has thrown lots money at it, id probably avoid it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hmm, couple of different ways you could go with this one…….

The E39 chassis is a great platform, if you are prepared to deal with the usual E39 bits and bobs, this is coming from a past 530i touring, + current 540i m/sport owner. 

You could go the tricked up i6 or the relatively standard v8 option. Loads of performance options for the i6, however to wring more power out of the M62tu can be expensive, but your starting from a higher hp / torque level.

I currently have a 1999 540i m/sport that I’m about to do the 6speed 420g conversion on (build post coming soon) + a few intake and software upgrades on. This will be more than enough enjoyment for me as a Sunday cruiser. 

as far as handling, I don’t think you would notice too much difference between a 530 v 540 on day-to-day driving, unless you like to drive on the raged edge day-to-day. Im too old for that sort of carry on, but the torque from the m62 is pretty intoxicating! As I’m sure the hp from a turbo i6 would be! 

If your after max power for minimal effort, go the 540👍

current project:  

IMG_5544.jpeg

IMG_5542.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Goose said:

I don’t think you would notice too much difference between a 530 v 540 on day-to-day driving

Owned both in manual and auto form and you certainly feel the added weight of the V8, plus steering rack vs box makes a big difference in feel, hard not to notice that. The auto 540i is probably near 200kg heavier than a manual 6 cyl depending on options. 540i is great on the open road when you need passing power but mostly wasted if you doing typical Auckland driving. A M54 in good running condition with working vanos has great torque for a old 3L.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Eagle said:

Owned both in manual and auto form and you certainly feel the added weight of the V8, plus steering rack vs box makes a big difference in feel, hard not to notice that. The auto 540i is probably near 200kg heavier than a manual 6 cyl depending on options. 540i is great on the open road when you need passing power but mostly wasted if you doing typical Auckland driving. A M54 in good running condition with working vanos has great torque for a old 3L.

Fair point, there was a few years gap between ownership of the 6cyl and v8, so a little difficult to make a comparison. 

As mentioned, the v8 would be my pick if the bulk of your driving is open road stuff and/or if it’s a “Sunday driver” car. This is what I use mine as and I think it suits the application well. 
Stick with the 6cyl if it’s a daily driver IMO. 

• Like 1

Thanks, really appreciate the early feedback, in light of this discussion any one selling a good 530i or 535i e39? 🤣😁🙈