Driftit

Cool Arduino project

Came across this cool little project someone has made.
Too fit atop their gear knob.

• Like 5

Too many gears for an E30… wonder if it’s clever enough to illuminate which gear the car is in?

We have micro switches at work that would be perfect for it to be capable of that.
A mate and I actually use similar ones to build Sim switch panels for DCS (Combat Flight Sim).  I would be just a matter of 3d printing a bracket to hold them below the factory trim.

• Like 1

I coincidentally watched that one recently, can't recall how they were doing the gear detection. What I am doing in the E46 is calculating the gear based on speed / rpm which will get most of the functionality without physical switches / detection. Unsure on other models but the ABS unit broadcasts all wheel speed signals over CAN so you can sniff from there. Will also take a feed from the clutch switch and trans neutral switch 👍

Gear postion is relatively easy to calculate from speed and rpm.

• Haha 1

The one I designed I've been running for the past 10 years in the e30. GEARP is displayed as the large number in the middle. I also use a clutch switch (simple reid switch) to remove erroneous data during shifts and coming to a stop, it also was also quite good for calculating faster shifting and resultant increases in time for time attack runs when I use to do it in this car around the track.

No photo description available.

• Like 1