Sign in to follow this  
BMWDees

2012 BMW X5 35D or 40D

I'm in the market for a new car and was looking at the 2012 X5 35D or 40D.  budget is around $20-25K, mileage 100,000kms

What the main things to look out for? 

How much are they to maintain? 

Should i look at something else? (keen on the 7 seater and sunroof) 

Do the sunroofs leak? 

What performance parts can you bolt onto these? 

Thanks

35d will be an import, 40d should/could be Nz new. 30d’s go just fine, even loaded and have one less turbo to worry about..

Sun roofs leak through blocked drains and possibly seals.

Air springs (will be there in 7 seater I’m sure) fail, taking the compressor with them if you’re not on top of it. 

Front control arm bushes go.

Brakes and tyres can be $$$, unless you’re handy or savvy when buying. Runflats can make the ride comical in sport on a typically bad Nz road. Standard tyres are way nicer, but you won’t have a spare option in a 7 seater. 

Service regularly and don’t forget the transfer case.

Buy on overall condition and service history rather than a strict ks cut off. I wouldn’t buy an import, but that’s just me.

Good luck with the search.

1 hour ago, BMWDees said:

I'm in the market for a new car and was looking at the 2012 X5 35D or 40D.  budget is around $20-25K, mileage 100,000kms

What the main things to look out for? 

How much are they to maintain? 

Should i look at something else? (keen on the 7 seater and sunroof) 

Do the sunroofs leak? 

What performance parts can you bolt onto these? 

Thanks

Have a 40d here if interested.

Ray Hellbm

I've just bought a 40d 2011 msport, UK import, 160,000km when bought a couple of months ago, now 166,000km. $13k.  Buyers' market atm although had to offload the older X3 for nothing despite spending a sh$t ton on that refurbishing.

Things to look out for; Shock mount bushes pulverised (easy fix), water leaks in rear of trunk (still looking for source of my small intermittent leak) can damage wiring loom / modules and unleash hell (caught in time and managing it)..., inner tail lights on tailgate can fill with water and fail (new off aliexpress - can't tell difference from genuine), sunroof drain blockages (not on mine), bad tail gate rattle (easy fix), surface corrosion underside (not a major), as good a service history as possible, watch for upper timing chain stretch on 40d, replace at dealer for $2.5k before it destroys guides etc, resulting in a much much larger bill... (planned).

Do oil changes every 10k and replace all fluids, incl transmission (all in progress), Tyres will be $$$, get a space saver spare, jack etc.

Mine has extras like full leather dash, soft close doors, full comfort sports seats, etc.  I like it, tows a caravan as if it wasn't there.  950k on a tank if you're not stupid.

12 hours ago, Palazzo said:

35d will be an import, 40d should/could be Nz new. 30d’s go just fine, even loaded and have one less turbo to worry about..

a 2012 35d is the same as the UK/NZ 30d i.e. N57 single turbo, possibly with AdBlue which I'd try to avoid. Anecdotally the 30d is more durable than the 40d, most of the dead N57's i've read about are the twin turbo and tend to be in the X5 (guessing this is to do with lugging 2.2 tons of SUV + / - trailers on the regular). 

The CBS-suggested 30k oil change intervals are mental on a truck like that. Would want much shorter change intervals. 

The x drive is sensitive to tire circumference - doesn't like different brands / tread depths front - rear.