Sign in to follow this  
Glacial Pace

Diagnostics tool, this one or something else?

So, I need some sort of diagnostics tool. Probably not going to get into coding anything but I need to read and clear fault codes and all that jazz. 

Is this one along with bimmerlink what I want, or is there a better option? 

Also, if anyone near Queenstown has a code reader I'd love to know what my check engine light is on for this weekend haha.

https://www.stahlcar.nz/products/bmw-obd2-tool-for-bimmercode-bimmerlink?variant=44426037428499&currency=NZD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw5Ky1BhAgEiwA5jGujtNi9zWofyclHQUY4bWXjFGWmXtaCZrteeIKutle7dsD97Dv8WPsuxoCzyEQAvD_BwE

Edited by Glacial Pace

You're in luck twice! I actually have that exact model hah.

BMW specific software eg ISTA on a laptop is probably the best value for money setup and most capable . If you want an actual scan tool then something universal is the best bet imo, will cover most of your standard needs and do a wide range of other cars also. I picked my Foxwell NT809BT on Aliexpress scanner for less than $500, but you can get even cheaper ones depending on your requirements.

Having both is ideal and doesnt really cost much in the scheme of things.

I have an old garage laptop that I use for Audi diagnostic software, so that seems reasonable. 

But a simple Bluetooth scanner for in the car might be good as well. In case of emergency.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/

Is brilliant. I have not opened my shitty temperamental ista laptop in over a year. 

All done from my phone. Including programming.