Deek9000

Options on removal of Japanese plate brackets?

Just got the plates today and went to town on the rear bracket. On second look it was slightly different to yours but essentially the same. Mine had a bottom part connecting both sides as well that I've mostly trimmed off now. Here's what's left of it. Can see how far down it extended originally from where the paint is damaged. Will need to touch those up. 

20240822_221354.thumb.jpg.a3d86677bc28d161c4ca2af847b92e74.jpg

20240822_221329.thumb.jpg.1776d50f7cf7416cdbf0bb3b3a7d0da1.jpg

• Like 1

Couple-a rivnuts and a nice euro plate frame would've fixed that monstrosity too 😆

Plate frame the world.

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2024 at 10:48 AM, balancerider said:

Plinth only needed for the front - the rear plate recess is nice and flat. I personally think the black small plates are a bit 'scene' (although YMMV and apparently they are hard for the fixed speed cameras to see!) and they don't have plate surrounds available due to the small size. Europlates + plate surround is the cleanest option for me.

Thank you, yeah I couldn’t source any plate surrounds for the small / slim size plates so opted for the Euro size holder on the front and Euro plates and frames for front and back. 

hoping that most of the holes in the front bumper can be covered up by the new holder and plate, but will have at least two to patch up which is a pain. 

11 hours ago, Vass said:

Just got the plates today and went to town on the rear bracket. On second look it was slightly different to yours but essentially the same. Mine had a bottom part connecting both sides as well that I've mostly trimmed off now. Here's what's left of it. Can see how far down it extended originally from where the paint is damaged. Will need to touch those up. 

20240822_221354.thumb.jpg.a3d86677bc28d161c4ca2af847b92e74.jpg

20240822_221329.thumb.jpg.1776d50f7cf7416cdbf0bb3b3a7d0da1.jpg

Nice! Impressed with how tidy these look after the trim, and not snapping that lower bar off in the process. 

Quick update.

The individual parts have arrived and had a go at replacing everything accordingly today. Unfortunately the fitment of both the holder and the frames on the front is an absolute shocker and will need a redo.
Products used:

Kiwiplates Euro Black (only option in NZ, right?)

Autographics Euro black plate frames w backing (anyone else used these? none of the cutouts in these frames lined up at all with the screw holes on the holder, is there a tried and true alternative out there?)

Spareto 6509-01-0070920P - Licence plate holder (front only) 

I'm happy with the rear plate install and I was able to attach the plate frame with the same two screws that held the Japanese holder in place in the factory pre-drilled holes. 

The front is a complete dog's breakfast though and the fitment between the plate holder and bumper, as well as the plate frames, is way way off. 

Is the combination of products or the hardware (supplied) or just lack of experience on my part on getting this right the issue here?

Would anyone with first hand experience with these products recommend specific hardware that worked for their install? Or an alternative plate frame (this particular one seems to be absolutely useless for the purpose of attaching it to Euro license plate holder)?

Or do I ditch the license plate holder instead and try and attach the plate frame directly to the bumper? I feel like it would look tidier on the front with a plate holder between frame and bumper given it's got quite a curve to it and the holder will mitigate that, but open to suggestions.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a genuine, compatible combination of European plate holder and European plate frames to fit this model on the front, along with the specific hardware that fits those parts (single kit would be genius), please let me know! 

IMG_2629.JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

Looks like you may need self tappers to attach the plinth to the bumper and possibly drill the plate frame where the pre drilled holes are on the plinth. Shorter screws to attach frame to plinth.

On 8/21/2024 at 9:47 AM, m325i said:

Depends on the model of car, but generally disagree. (E46 M3 has a nice plinth I admit). 

While I have used tape in the past with success, I found the curved front of F80 doesn't stick the corners well, (I tried like 3 types of tape). 

I found good success with these.

Should have taken my advice....

8 hours ago, m325i said:

Should have taken my advice....

Imo it already looks better than it would if it were slapped on the bumper with nothing else.

The frame and plinth just need some fettling to work together.

• Haha 1

On 9/1/2024 at 1:28 PM, balancerider said:

Looks like you may need self tappers to attach the plinth to the bumper and possibly drill the plate frame where the pre drilled holes are on the plinth. Shorter screws to attach frame to plinth.

The plinth is attached with self tapping screws, that's as flush as it gets. 

Frame is a lot tidier now though. I couldn't source the correct screws for the frame but was taking the car in for a service anyway so the mechanic replaced them with the correct screws while he was at it. 

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2706.JPG

• Like 4