cleanish_e46

WTB: E53 X5

Budget: $5k cash give or take and...

1173572193_IMG-9009.jpg.42449e4b82135498691dc9d9e0bea283(1).thumb.jpg.eaca47041beb65c1ec4e73b0359ad240.jpg

... Boris could potentially be negotiated for the right car / deal. Family first and all that.

1995 New Zealand new Hellrot 328i. 167***KMs, known ownership trail and service history.

Expectations are realistic, but something that can be relied upon daily, and capable and safe enough for the family.

Facelift, M57 and 6-speed ideally if Boris has to go. I would be particularly keen to see service history on anything else.

I missed out on a low spec, but low KMs and tidy pre-facelift M54 one this morning for $4500, someting like that would be fine. 

Thank you for any advice or leads,

Josh

If you can find a decent diesel, I’d by far recommend that over the M54 in an X5.

Theres a (350km) one for $4650 on FB and a 240km one for an optimistic $7k as well.

Edited by Palazzo
Added options.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I had to get another e53, definitely a facelift diesel. I had a 2006 3.0d and it towed so well. Previously had a pre facelift petrol V8 and it loved to drink, and break down a lot, oh and drink. I tried a 3.0i petrol. It was okay, but I don’t think you gain much economy. 

If you can stretch a little further, look at an e70. They are coming down in price, and arguably the e53’s are getting high on mileage. They’re definitely an improvement on the e53, with a bit more refinement and space. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah M54's in the X5 are sluggish and are always revving out to get moving. Amazing how much better the M54 goes in the E39 and E60 M54 with the 6 speed auto.

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 1

Performance not great but reasonably economical to fix and run. I drove a E39 530i wagon last week, they do go better in those for sure!

If it weren't for the 4wd system id agree, shame they did make a rwd version as its pointless for most people.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2024 at 5:37 PM, Palazzo said:

If you can find a decent diesel, I’d by far recommend that over the M54 in an X5.

Theres a (350km) one for $4650 on FB and a 240km one for an optimistic $7k as well.

Thanks for the heads-up Scott, I actually ended up buying the higher mileage one. It was in better condition, drove nicer and had more history with it than anything else I'd looked at. Plus the previous owner was great to deal with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cleanish_e46 said:

Thanks for the heads-up Scott, I actually ended up buying the higher mileage one. It was in better condition, drove nicer and had more history with it than anything else I'd looked at. Plus the previous owner was great to deal with.

Good to hear, the ad sounded like it had some promise. 

• Like 1

He had quite the collection, and the condition of everything spoke volumes. Notably, a Boston Green E36 M3 and a 911. German, and an engineer by profession for what it’s worth! 

• Like 1