mincePy

Can't find head gasket for M90 engine

I'm trying to source a new head gasket to suit the M90 (larger bore M30 from the late 70s / early 80s) going into my E28. RealOEM lists 11121730951 as the 1.72mm option (the thickness I need), but all the images I see are of a typical M30 gasket with holes for water jackets instead of rectangular passages. Below is a picture of my M90 waiting for its gasket - note the rectangle shape water jackets on the left.

20241018_151251.thumb.jpg.38e69cfc8fd5bf77c5fdcda318ca40d3.jpg

I queried this with Schmiedmann, who said:

"Unfortunately BMW doesn’t list the M90 engine in the parts catalogue anymore, and most models are just mentioned with M30 engine. For those cars, it’s said the gasket is 11121730951, for models made up to 30th April 1982. The gasket comes from BMW exactly as shown online on our website, and it looks the same with other brands that reference it under the same number 11121730951 as well. We’ve had issues with customers in the past trying to order the gaskets for that engine, but since that one doesn’t fit, then unfortunately we can’t really help."

Two other gaskets listed are 11121730223 and 11121730226. Both 1.72mm, I'm not sure what the differences are - but either way all images online seem to be of gaskets with circular water jacket holes.

Is anyone wiser here? Do I really need to go down the custom gasket route for this or has someone had recent success sourcing a new head gasket?

Appreciate any help..

Edited by mincePy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

Is it suppose to look like this?

2 hours ago, Mad_Max said:

Thanks guys. Those both look pretty close, but the water jacket pattern doesn't match. There are 9 openings on the left side of my motor in the picture above, those both show 5. It looks like it might fit but some of the water passage might be covered by the gasket? Am I overthinking this?

14 minutes ago, mincePy said:

It looks like it might fit but some of the water passage might be covered by the gasket? Am I overthinking this?

I'd say you may be, got to remember that manufacturers changed gasket designs over the years to change water or oil flow properties. Sometimes they restricted flow to help the head keep an even temp or warm up faster or slower, or to get more (or less) oil to certain galleries, after discovering minor issues. As long as the perimeter is sealed up, and the gasket is the right size and seals, those are the main things.

Had the same issue many years ago with an old Datsun L series, and got to the stage I was on the phone to the company that made the head gasket, and they explained that exact thing to me. Bolted the changed design gasket up and never had an issue.

i think they where partly covered from memory 

Cheers @Mad_Max. Makes sense, and I guess it's probably why the BMW ETK shows the new design with the right part number.

I'm matching gasket to the block of course, but worth noting I'm using a B35 head on this.

@BM WORLD I have an Elring gasket that looks the same in design but the bore size is too small - my M90 has been bored out a tad (can't recall exactly how much, have asked builder). I think that Victor Reinz 02-27340-05 one you have has 93.4mm bore sizes right?

1 hour ago, mincePy said:

Cheers @Mad_Max. Makes sense, and I guess it's probably why the BMW ETK shows the new design with the right part number.

I'm matching gasket to the block of course, but worth noting I'm using a B35 head on this.

@BM WORLD I have an Elring gasket that looks the same in design but the bore size is too small - my M90 has been bored out a tad (can't recall exactly how much, have asked builder). I think that Victor Reinz 02-27340-05 one you have has 93.4mm bore sizes right?

also you could get custom MLS type made 

i had a custom made years back to suit a m88 bored to 95mm 

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-motorsports-performance-multi-layered-steel-head-gasket-bmw-m30-p995.aspx

a few places that do them 

i think also someone in nz maybe? 

Edited by BM WORLD

Alright I got it wrong, that raised passage is oil drain back (not coolant) so the gaskets with circle holes instead are all fine. The main issue is getting an appropriate bore size. My M90 has been bored to 93.9mm, so a 94mm gasket or bit larger. Sounds like an M5 / S38 motor gasket will work, if I can find one by itself (not in a full gasket set)!

3 minutes ago, mincePy said:

Alright I got it wrong, that raised passage is oil drain back (not coolant) so the gaskets with circle holes instead are all fine. The main issue is getting an appropriate bore size. My M90 has been bored to 93.9mm, so a 94mm gasket or bit larger. Sounds like an M5 / S38 motor gasket will work, if I can find one by itself (not in a full gasket set)!

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-motorsports-performance-multi-layered-steel-head-gasket-bmw-m30-p995.aspx