Sign in to follow this  
Silver Fox

E30 Cabin water leaks

I've just stripped out my E30 for my Race car, and have found small isolated spots of rust in 2 or 3 places, letting water into the cab. Thought I'd let everyone know where. First one was passenger side front footwell, tucked up high behind the glovebox, caused thru blocked outlet from external compartment below the windscreen. On mine it had rusted thru into the wheel well and cabin, and could be seen with the wheel on full lock in the top corner behind the wheel. Next one was behind the rubber fitting which drains the same compartment below the windscreen, when I took the fitting off it was blocked solid, This is in the engine bay, drivers side on the firewall behind the head, right next to the battery, needs regular cleaning. The other was below the battery, the tray had the usual rust spots, some ended up being holes into the drivers footwell. Other than the battery tray the others are all behind sound deadening material, and real hard to see or find without removing it. Hope this helps someone, Cheers.

Next one was behind the rubber fitting which drains the same compartment below the windscreen, when I took the fitting off it was blocked solid, This is in the engine bay, drivers side on the firewall behind the head, right next to the battery, needs regular cleaning.

The elephant trunk

like this?

Posted Image

Edited by Gus

Yeah, the firewall behind the glove box is a common spot for rust, mine had it also and was making the carpet damp

post-1118-1152237636_thumb.jpg post-1118-1152237610_thumb.jpgpost-1118-1152237586_thumb.jpg

1st pic pass side behind glovebox, 2nd pic next to pedal box above brake, 3rd pic left side of steering col, 2 and 3 are below the battery box.

Hey did you have to take the dash off to find the 1st one? my floor getting very wet and cant find any holes! also cleaned out my heater overflow on the drivers side but it hasnt helped :(

No, the dash is ok left there, take the glovebox off, it's only a couple of screws, and feel around behind it, next to where the wiring loom comes thru from the fuse box. If it's wet there you can bet it's started rusting next to the loom hole, and needs patching there. Pull the carpet back from the edge of the hole on the door side of the loom, it will be obvious if you have a problem there.