Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ari Gold

Strength of fibreglass

Guest Spargo

How strong is fibreglass, esp in a front spoiler application? I'm planning on bidding on that -tec 2 replica front, to replace my plastic one, as it is warping and is chipped to hell.

My car is low and i catch the front about once a day if i'm careless, so how flexible is it compared to abs plastic?

abs is the most durable impact resistant plastic, and fibre glass is brittle compared to plastic.

Depends on use! look at boats etc, Fibreglass is semi-flexible but doesn't like impact [it shatters easily]

On my Race-car it can withstand Windloads of 270kph, when I slam the brakes on at this speed,the front sandpapers itself on the track [nice fibreglass smell]

'glass is easy to repair.I haven't seen a paint that can withstand the flex of ABS or Urethane so you might as well use 'glass

sh*t fibreglass kits use a helluva lot of bog, and really sh*t fibreglass (matting). makes them hard to fix, as you have to shape all the bog, instead of just resining up some new glass

would be interested to see a decent glass kit, as you have some good points

After having a fibreglass bumper on my CRX im going to be tryng my best to never have one again, mine wasnt that low and I seldom ever touched it on anything yet it still needed repaired twice in the year between when I put it on and sold the car (though one of those was the WOF places fault when they drove it into a kerb)

If youve got a plastic bumper now try to keep it that way

Yeah, I agree Gus.

Half the glass manufacturers think we're racing a boat. I know someone that put lightweight fibregass panels on a corvette,& it got heavier than the factory pressed fibreglass.[bog is basically fibreglass resin with Talcum Powder mixed in as a thickener]

A good Aircraft glass manufacturer should do Quality work. Ultralite Fibreglass in Papakura is one of the best I know of

Guest Spargo

Depends on use! look at boats etc, Fibreglass is semi-flexible but doesn't like impact [it shatters easily]

On my Race-car it can withstand Windloads of 270kph, when I slam the brakes on at this speed,the front sandpapers itself on the track [nice fibreglass smell]

'glass is easy to repair.I haven't seen a paint that can withstand the flex of ABS or Urethane so you might as well use 'glass

Thats the sort of answer I was after, seeing as 8 months after having my front resprayed, my paint is flaking and cracking where its taken a couple of hits.

You can put an additive in paint to make it flexible. I got my rubber boot spoiler painted with it and you can press down on the rubber and deflect itas hard as you can press and the paint doesn't crack. I've sold that car now, but it had lasted a year with zero signs of wear at that piont.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

I've also got paint that has a rubbery texture/forumulation that's used on my wing and skirts as they're that plasticy rubber original parts. Surgery FTW

hey guys ders a dude selling fibreglass kits on trademe..

m3 kit

you guys think its worth it? price is cheap though :unsure:

Ask 320SHKBTE just how good it is...pretty sure his kit was fibreglass and was a bitch to get on.

Bravo,what was the additive called if you can remember?wouldn't mind some of it for something completly non-car related.

if you do fibreglass replicas are you [paying someone to do it, or are you doing youself? keen to fund and get some more made!!

that dude said it includes installation.... m sport front for 300+ inc installation

sam ... dont do it ... brendon has a fiberglass EVO 3 bumper... for his front .. and its sh*t. Hes since bought a real one and after this episode .. I will never put fiber glass on a car unless its for some light weight panel thing for a race car.

If you think you have problems now .. just wait till you hit a curb, crack ... and a big mess to fix. Just get your original one sorted properly with soft paint additive.