Sign in to follow this  
MADBMA

Rear brakes

ok firstly i dont want any one critisising me for this, as just at a curious stage at the moment.

car: E36 94 M42 318IS Manual

is there anyway to dissconnect the rear brakes with a flick of a switch? i want to be able to smoke the tyres up ( dont criticize) but dont want to permanantly disconnect the rear brakes as this causes warrant issues, where as if you had a switch then that would be optimal, now you have to excuse my mechanical knowledge, but are the rear brakes eletrical in a way? i know older cars are completely mechanical, but if eletrical i could find the wire and hook up a relay to it, my eletrical knowledge far exceeds my mechanical.

anyhelp would be good, this is purely for educational purposes no illegal activitys will be taking place :D

B&M have something called a line locking device, its what mad mike used in his 808 wagon fursty. They work pretty good from what ive heard, just need a brake mech to install it.

Tilton do a hydraulic brake proportioning valve (get them from Cardwell racing) If you do install one make sure you put it somewhere where the testing station can't see it because you really need a low volume cert to use one on a road car.

An aside:

There are lots of good reasons for installing such a device - In my opinion making lots of smoke isn't one of them

An aside:

There are lots of good reasons for installing such a device - In my opinion making lots of smoke isn't one of them

Can you elaborate on these reasons, i'm interested

Can you elaborate on these reasons, i'm interested

he's talking proportioning/bias valve. bias adjustment.

line lockers (purely on/off) can really only be used for burnouts, be it 'show' or for heating up slicks on the strip

he's talking proportioning/bias valve. bias adjustment.

line lockers (purely on/off) can really only be used for burnouts, be it 'show' or for heating up slicks on the strip

yeah those reasons are obvious but the original quote said lot of reasons, what are the other ones?

If all else fails,unhook the the rear brake line from the master cylinder and seal it off somehow.Then put a 10-12mm bolt with a shitload of threadtape in that hole where you pulled the brake line off.You can hook the rears back on whenever you want,just gotta take the bolt out and hook up brake line again.

NOTE:this is a ghetto way and dont recomend it for daily driving lol did it in my skid Holden,worked pretty sweet.

Cost about a dollar to do.

Quickest way to kill yourself and someone else, do it properly if you want to do it, don't mess around with your brakes.

Sorry - it's my age showing, it was really intended as a dig at doing burn outs for "show"

but if you've done any sort of brake upgrade ( drums to discs) or perhaps larger discs it is an easy way of getting the car balanced without going through the drama of installling a pedal box.

You can also adjust for more or less weight in the rear or for different surfaces - I tend to run more rear brakes on gravel than or tarmac.

Tip1 If you're installing a proportioning valve, remove the existing pressure reducer.

Tip 2: If you don't completely understand what people are talking about in this thread, then leave your brakes alone!

yeah i think if i go ahead with it ill be doing it properly, sure ghetto way (or as ya might say in wellington the upper hutt way), would do the trick but i wanna ba able to flick em on and off with the flick of a switch :)