Sign in to follow this  
TronSpec

Favorite Model Bimmer

m_reaney just hit the nail on the head....its all about how the car makes you feel when your driving it.

If your happy in a Corolla with the wing mirror falling off with dents and scratches all over it then fair play to you, but I want the best car I can get for my daily.

Ive been without my 740 for three days now and Im desperate to get it back.

This is my point exactly, When I get into mine, im not thinking about how I can drift the next corner or how nippy the car is for jumping the next traffic light. I enjoy the fact that Im getting into a clean, quite, smooth environment that has been set just the way I like, and that it is at home in the city just as much as it is open road. That also my passengers can enjoy the same comforts I do. That I can leave my climate control on 21.5 and auto and I just dont have to think about being too hot or too cold. And that I'm driving around in one of the safest vehicles in the world. And most of all reliability.

I certainly dont mean to offend people when I say this, but as you get a little older these things become very important when looking into buying a vehicle for daily use.

For me I would love to have the BMW Z3 M Coupe for a daily driver - a mate took me for a ride in his in the UK and it blew me away.

Failing that I would drive my E36 M3 :)B)

I certainly dont mean to offend people when I say this, but as you get a little older these things become very important when looking into buying a vehicle for daily use.

Amen!

My climate control is set on 18 normally. :)

my climate control is set on 'window'

Daily driver relative to the good old money issue would be my soon to be manual silver E36 coupe, however I do miss my E30 :'(

ultimately if money didn't matter there is a huge list lets say if it was a BMW it would be E30 M3 or E46 M3 :wub::wub: as well as these a version 6 (1998 shape) Subaru WRX STI Coupe type R. :wub::wub: Oh yea lets not forget the HSV GTO coupe..... :wub::wub: exotic= Lamborghini Murcielago :wub::wub:

This is my point exactly, When I get into mine, im not thinking about how I can drift the next corner or how nippy the car is for jumping the next traffic light. I enjoy the fact that Im getting into a clean, quite, smooth environment that has been set just the way I like, and that it is at home in the city just as much as it is open road. That also my passengers can enjoy the same comforts I do. That I can leave my climate control on 21.5 and auto and I just dont have to think about being too hot or too cold. And that I'm driving around in one of the safest vehicles in the world. And most of all reliability.

yeah, who would in their right mind if they could afford drive a stingy car...

my climate control is set on 'window'

LOL !!!!!!

exotic= Lamborghini Murcielago

Obviously coming from someone, who has never driven a big Supercar. The Gallardo is not even a very good daily driver, but the Murcielago is just too big for city driving.

If your daily drive is the Autobahn or from Christchurch to Queenstown each day, then yes. You have picked a nice car.

Topic Header:

Favorite Model Bimmer, For a daily driver

These are BMWs???:

a version 6 (1998 shape) Subaru WRX STI Coupe type R. Oh yea lets not forget the HSV GTO coupe..... exotic= Lamborghini Murcielago

:)

We are using the 535 or the 2800 as daily drivers.

The 535 is just fine with its creature comforts, but loses points as the gearbox and clutch are a dog, so anybody that is suggesting running a E34 M5....has to be kidding. Our run is a 20 minute one with usually no stop-go running (albeit fairly slowly).

If we have to travel north on or around XMAS eve, I'll forgo the creature comforts if the driving means 2 hours of stop-go motoring to get to Waikanae. My left calf is usually in pain by 5the time I get there :angry:

The 2800 is fairly basic, but the clutch is light, and the old ZF box is a pleasure to drive with...very positive gear change!.

The minus is...no air con (to demist the windows), and no power steering.

If these get too much, then we use the ute.....V8 with a slushbox, nice braindead driving for the commute (and better fuel economy than the 535!)

We are using the 535 or the 2800 as daily drivers.

The 535 is just fine with its creature comforts, but loses points as the gearbox and clutch are a dog, so anybody that is suggesting running a E34 M5....has to be kidding. Our run is a 20 minute one with usually no stop-go running (albeit fairly slowly).

If we have to travel north on or around XMAS eve, I'll forgo the creature comforts if the driving means 2 hours of stop-go motoring to get to Waikanae. My left calf is usually in pain by 5the time I get there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

The 2800 is fairly basic, but the clutch is light, and the old ZF box is a pleasure to drive with...very positive gear change!.

The minus is...no air con (to demist the windows), and no power steering.

If these get too much, then we use the ute.....V8 with a slushbox, nice braindead driving for the commute (and better fuel economy than the 535!)

Really I don't find that at all? My gear Box whilst not being super slick is very nice to use, it has a smooth positive action. Clutch is not japanese light, but it is far from heavy. I would be sick of the traffic before I got sick of driving the car. Even around town I find the 535is fine to drive. M5 i can't see as being to much of a problem day to day more like a problem when it come to opening up the wallet!

Its all really "horses for courses", I've got a few cars, and I've rated the 535 according.

The only car that I've owned that had a heavier and more differcult clutch, was my S1 RX7 with a heavy duty "puck" clutch.

I'm not saying its bad, its just that 535 comes into its own once you are out of town and not having to work the clutch every 10-20 seconds while inching in traffic.

My ideal car would probably be a E34/E39 (non V8) automatic 5 series or E32/E38 7 series. And leave the manuals for Touring.

Interesting comment about no A/C. In my last 8-9 cars, I've used the A/C once each - just to see if it works. Other than that, never used.

For me personally, I find A/C pointless in NZ.

Guest Andrew

Interesting comment about no A/C. In my last 8-9 cars, I've used the A/C once each - just to see if it works. Other than that, never used.

It gets pretty damn humid up here - would suck withou A/C

yea, Auckland quite often does the 98% humidity around the spring months.

I leave mine on 100% of the time, don't notice it ... Infact I had a little chuckle at the end of the day on the Taupo track day, I had left it on by mistake all day racing.

Our 535 lives outside, so its not unusual for it to be condensated up on the chilly mornings, as well as the standard "frosting" up when the weather is humid...we use the A/C all the time to keep the car's screens clear and the interior dry.

A/C used to be a luxury item, now I see it as a safety feature as it insures that your screens are clear when the weather aint so flash.

once i had a car with a/c i now wouldnt be without it.Not much use in Wellington,but as RXSUMO says its great to demist too.You must run the A/C every now and then(at least once a month),to keep the seals lubed and sealing.At least it will work when you come to sell the car.The A?C is fantastic for those summer holidays.....Makes long drives so easy!