Sign in to follow this  
TronSpec

Favorite Model Bimmer

Money no object i would daily an X5 3.0d or 530d. Seeing as money is always a factor im more than happy with my Holden SV6. Its reliable, got enough power, will tow a house and most importantly doesn't break down.

got mine ... best of both worlds. Im not sure what ill get when its time to move on (for a daily) ... I actually do like the e90 for some strange reason .. its grown on me. By the time I buy .. it'll be a face lift.

Most people should really give the more modern beemers a chance they have a whole new set of character that people dont seem to release. Its not until you have driven them for a while you actually apprieciate them ... In the same way as you would of asked me start of the year about e30's and I would of said . .. not a chance ... now I see their charm after driving mine for a few months.

An M car is NOT a daily...

Mine is. And the wife and daughter enjoy it everyday. Try owning one before you bag them. The V8 is a more easily driven motor than the M5 motors. That is true. However, it wasn't called the Uber saloon for no reason.

The 3.2l M3 has a torque curve like a V8.

Guest Spargo

A daily needs to have these qualities:

Soft, supple suspension for get over speed bumps / pot holes etc.

easily manoeverable for getting in and out of tight car parks.

good fuel econony, especially in stop start traffic.

A "piece of sh*t" factor, so you don't care if someone touch parks it, you can jump over a curb to get around another car, etc.

plenty of doors so you can take people places / load a christmas tree or whatever.

Mine is. And the wife and daughter enjoy it everyday. Try owning one before you bag them. The V8 is a more easily driven motor than the M5 motors. That is true. However, it wasn't called the Uber saloon for no reason.

The 3.2l M3 has a torque curve like a V8.

Not bagging them, I just wouldn't subject them to the punishment that a any dialy of mine would be expected to endure.

HMMMMMMMMMMM well im greedy and i want to name 2

E38 750iL

E46 330ci (auto or manual) coupe or convertible

well put Sam, i aggree that a daily should possess those qualities. whioc is why i chose the E46 325i Touring, and goddam i think its the toughest looking bimmer!

Why ?

IMO if its a daily then it has to be something you really enjoy, you are after all driving it every day.

An e39 M5 would do me just nicely, but so would an e39 540/6. Couldnt seem myself going smaller than a 5 (those who know me will understand why) and it would have to be something with a bit of punch and all the mod cons.

So a 760Li it is then ;)

Agreed. I'm not a big fan of newschool cars, would rather drive something pre-1980 everyday, who cares if it breaks down every now and then? It's like people who won't build a house on a cliff face, because they might be hit by an earthquke once every 100 years, and then miss out on having an amazing view everyday.

after having driven my 99 540 for the last 6 months and thoroughly enjoyed it I would love to have an M5 to play with.

A daily needs to have these qualities:

Soft, supple suspension for get over speed bumps / pot holes etc.

easily manoeverable for getting in and out of tight car parks.

good fuel econony, especially in stop start traffic.

A "piece of sh*t" factor, so you don't care if someone touch parks it, you can jump over a curb to get around another car, etc.

plenty of doors so you can take people places / load a christmas tree or whatever.

Not bagging them, I just wouldn't subject them to the punishment that a any dialy of mine would be expected to endure.

fully agree with you,

M5 seems like a bit of a waste around town.

so much for realistic cars, unless people on this board have more money than I was led to believe...

Realistically, a nice E36 318is is fine for a daily around town

but ideally I'd like a E92 335ci the twin turbo one

Yours is not a //M car really Cain...

When Martyn says M i think he means a M3 or M5

If a commodore VE can be a daily drive why not a $40,000 E39 M5?

I am with martyn,I have got to enjoy the drive,I dont sit in traffic tho.

Why arent //M cars daily drivers?

I have been sorta toying with the idea of a e 36 M3,but it would be my daily,i dont have the space for three cars.

Hmm another motorbike in my future?

I agree Paul (not all comments aimed at you), mine is not an M5. But it does have every bit of suspension and wheel that an E34 M5 has. It has a motor with more torque and a little less horsepower. It has the 6 speed box which the M5 doesn't.

It is a perfect daily driver and has been used as such for every day of it's life. Plus track days and touring around the country.

Why settle for less? An E39 M5 is light years ahead.

As far a soft suspension goes. EDC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you think it does? If you want a car with the description given above, buy a Civic or a Corolla.

It is a perfect daily driver and has been used as such for every day of it's life. Plus track days and touring around the country.

apart for the size of the whole car for a town driver. Your car pwn's all cain.

Edited by bumpstop325

I drive a civic as a daily and love it ... wish it was a type R though ... hmmmmm ...

Personally I'd go for an E30 M3 as a daily .... why compromise comfort for enjoyment of driving?

Edited by M3_Power

I drive a civic as a daily and love it ... wish it was a type R though ... hmmmmm ...

Personally I'd go for an E30 M3 as a daily .... why compromise comfort for enjoyment of driving?

thats the thing, my daily driving consists of traffic lights. how can you enjoy an M car in stop-start traffic?

would be like possum hunting with a chain gun.

It would get the job done but a huge waste. A .22 would get the job done a lot more efficiently and cheaply.

chain gun is far more at home pwning hooligans from a chopper

An M car is NOT a daily...

I drive my M3 to work every day and love it! I bought it so I could drive it everyday.

You can't say an M car cannot be a daily. Its all about personal preference. For me its all about how the car makes you feel when you are in in/driving it. This goes for all BMW's, M or not.

With regard to "daily" qualities, I prefer harder suspension, and would rather drive an M3 to work than a Mazda 3, its my personal preference.

Definitely all about personal preference B)

Especially seeing as some believe an E34 is a big car…Jump in an E46 4 door – I don’t think they’re much smaller! :blink:

e39 540 m tech with a loud exhaust in manual, tough as.

or a e30 m3

All you guys who think 5's and 7's are too big for town driving are pussies.

Ive spent the last 2 years with my 740 in Wellington and 5 years previous to that with my 750iL in central London and never had a problem getting around town.

Maybe I have a talent for handling large items in confined spaces, I dont know ;)

m_reaney just hit the nail on the head....its all about how the car makes you feel when your driving it.

If your happy in a Corolla with the wing mirror falling off with dents and scratches all over it then fair play to you, but I want the best car I can get for my daily.

Ive been without my 740 for three days now and Im desperate to get it back.

In this order

E30 M3 Convertable - daily

E31 850CSi - weekend

E34 M5 - people mover

Edited by E30stz

e30 m3 cabby? not really a practical daily?

All you guys who think 5's and 7's are too big for town driving are pussies.

Ive spent the last 2 years with my 740 in Wellington and 5 years previous to that with my 750iL in central London and never had a problem getting around town.

amen to that! i have a thing for large cars- im slowly convincing my old man that a big car is fine for me.....

so far ive made it to an e- class, next step lwb 7 series