Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Whinge Thread

All I want is a fricken radiator hose. Being a funny-shaped one, usual generic parts stores do not have them (Repco, Auto-one etc). So its either wait for one to be couried from somewhere in Auckland or go to the local BMW service centre.

Me: "I want a radiator hose. Its for a facelift e30. Its the one from the water pump to the thermostat."

Them: "What's your chassis number?"

Me: "e30"

Them: "No we need the last 7 digits of your chassis number."

Me: "Can't you just look it up? It's not all that difficult - I just want a radiator hose."

Them: "No we need a chassis number."

Me: "Hold on, I'll just look on the internet.... 40secs pass while I look up the online etk (no chassis number required just a model and year etc) ... Would a part number do?"

Them: "[Exasperated sigh!] OK"

Me: " 11531287651 it also happens to be written on the hose"

Them: 'OK I'll need 1 to 2 hours to find out a price for you - what's your number there?"

1-2 bloody hours for a PRICE on a hose. I was thinking I might actually GET the hose in 1 -2 hours! Silly me.

Maybe its beacause they are also the local Honda service centre.... I've been meaning to get a pic of their sign for awhile - both BMW and Honda logos.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Reality - its an old car, spares are not stocked as well as they are for newer cars. Its not just a BMW problem - ask anyone with an old car about spares. Although your point about them being a dual agent with xxxxx (I'm not allowed to say the name in case I turn into a frog) may be valid - people I know who've dealt with xxxxx agents have reported similar frustrations.

However, I have memorised my vehicle ident BVxxxxx 'cos its easy to do and saves time and frustration when I deal with BMW or when I read my TDK or whatever. I suggest you do the same.

I wouldn't be worried if they said "It's $50. We don't have it in stock though and you have to wait" That I can live with, but inability to look up a part on a computer and then take 2 hours to get a price - I thought in this day and age with computersiation, it should all be there.

Once again - silly me.

Can't believe you said E30 as your chassis number, that must've sounded really dumb, the first thing you should've said was that you have the part number then quoted it.

Yuh.

Being in the industry, I know that there's a whole lot of f**k all you can do alot of the time without a chassis number, if not guess work. they could have at least looked - as proiven by you it was a generic part. but yuh. if you've got a part number, give it out. e30 covers almost 10 years and multiple configurations, as you know.

'tis also damn hard to stock 'the right parts' for everyone.

pricing should be loaded into any decent invoicing system, if not also online/on an indent price file. I have all 3 available in my 'franchise'

There is no reason they cant give you a price straight away.

If youve given them the part number thats all they need, Ive sat with Shelley's people often enough with a list of part numbers and they have the prices come up and whether they are local or overseas.

Another nail in the dealers coffin ?

See if you can find the part number on ebay....Im always amazed at how much stuff I can find with the part number !

^ feel basically the same as my palmy parts brother. If someone comes in with, hose for a 91 canter, then I basically tell them to get f*cked. Not quite as easy just to put in dates to load up the sh*t to get pictures of parts and part numbers. As cam said, guess work sucks arse, comes back to bite in the arse usually.

But if you had part number then sweet. You'd make my day. Which is weird that they got otr. I could tell you if either our place or the whole of NZ had a part number in under 30 seconds.

Edited by sparkle

Can't believe you said E30 as your chassis number, that must've sounded really dumb, the first thing you should've said was that you have the part number then quoted it.

Well actually what I said was - its an e30 or do you want the actual chassis number? Artistic license lol.

All 'm hearing here is excuses why they should give me the run around. I'm the clueless customer remember? They are the experts. i shouldn't have to do their job for them. This is why service in NZ is sh*t - everyone uses the tried and true cop-outs - oh its too hard, blah blah, blah. If I tried that in my profession (surveying - construction and land development) I'd be broke in 2 seconds flat.

probably. you weren't, byt the sounds, being the most helpful.

systems crash

internet connections get on the rag (auto dealerships don't have a high regard for I.T, ours is constantly shitting itself)

all potential reasons why they couldn't price it.

although they would have told you if that was the issue, you would think

but yuh. 2 hours for a price of a part that *should* be stocked in the national parts distribution centre, and definitely priced easily = bullshit.

I seriously, and have had today, people ring up "XX part for this truck of ours"

me = "got a chasis #?"

them ="it's truck #23, y'know, the big orange one"

me= "ok...."

*works through options for an educated guess*

not all interpreters bail on trying.

Edited by CaM

Guest Andrew

Everytime i've called a dealer for a hose it's been instant price and in my hands in 20 mins.

Auckland = FTW for parts.

Running/working in a parts place is hardly rocket science with the hardcore computer systems that BMW have in place.

Everytime i've called a dealer for a hose it's been instant price and in my hands in 20 mins.

Auckland = FTW for parts.

Running/working in a parts place is hardly rocket science with the hardcore computer systems that BMW have in place.

When i needed the hose that runs from the thermostat to the pump on my M30 shelleys had it in stock,however i know my chassis number by heart.The tranasaction took about 3-4 minutes total,2 minutes on the phone,and i was in and out of the parts dept in about 2 minutes too,even with the car club discount,which they always have to redo,because you have to tell them BEFORE they start the invoice.You must have your chassis number tho.Think of how many versions of the ol m30 engine there have been!

Any one who has worked in the retail type business knows that 'computer systems" arent always helpful!

So within half an hour of me finding a split hose i had a new one on.Page european fitted it for me on the spot!

probably. you weren't, byt the sounds, being the most helpful.

systems crash

internet connections get on the rag (auto dealerships don't have a high regard for I.T, ours is constantly shitting itself)

all potential reasons why they couldn't price it.

although they would have told you if that was the issue, you would think

but yuh. 2 hours for a price of a part that *should* be stocked in the national parts distribution centre, and definitely priced easily = bullshit.

I seriously, and have had today, people ring up "XX part for this truck of ours"

me = "got a chasis #?"

them ="it's truck #23, y'know, the big orange one"

me= "ok...."

*works through options for an educated guess*

not all interpreters bail on trying.

I am the typical kiwi at the end of poor service. I don't tell the place that gave the poor service, rather I vote with my feet and whinge to my friends. I was more than helpful, painfully polite and friendly. At the end of the day I wanted a hose, not a chance to write a bitch thread (although I am enjoying doing that too - makes me feel much better).

I had a simple request, thay are inept and still havn't called me back - meanwhile the hose is on the courier (I gave up waiting and got the hose from my regular Auckland supplier in about 30secs of phone time).

You're just sore because you are in the industry and get annoyed when you have to do your job by figuring out what the customer wants.

When someone rings me up wanting free advice about subdividing their property (and I know unless I actually get the job there's no way they'll pay for a single ph consultation), and all they have is a rural address and "its shaped sort of like..." I don't cry that they don't have the correct reference numbers etc - I get on my computer system and find it (how far along the road?, who's your neighbours? etc eetc) In other words I do my job.

instead of saying - you don't have a chassis number so we can't help, they should have said - no problem, I'll have a look. it may take some time and I need some info from you. What year is your vehicle? and so on.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

You're just sore because you are in the industry and get annoyed when you have to do your job by figuring out what the customer wants.

In your case, yeah, there's probably not that much work involved to find the particular hose, but don't run down the parts trade generally because of some n00b that can't even (from reading your last post) get back to you at all.

I'm not sore about anything, I do my job, and must do it fairly reasonably gauging by the feedback my boss receives from customers at random and the growth we've experienced since my employment.. Kinda gutting to see that there's customer service out there like that still.

That's Great Service [At Least they ask you the questions Haha!]

2 hours?????

Try buying a 40 cent stamp from NZ Post these days

You have to line up in a Queue for about 15 minutes,waiting while some geriatric swaps meteorological comments about the day [the weather]

Then they spend 5 minutes dithering around getting you a stamp for 40 F**ken cents [how much profit do they think is in a stamp]

At least the motor industry is efficient!

The Chassis number argument is an absolute crock of sh*t too. I have been in a number of times to McMillans and given them the exact number (complete, not just the last 7 digits) and still been delivered the wrong part. Having the only car of it's type in the country, I am forever asking them to recheck before they import the parts for me.

They treat it like a standard 540iS and get the limo parts in and not the M5 gear, even when you warn them. Then you barely get an apology.

I miss Glenn being there, never had the problems then.

Fair enough Cam.

lol @ kerry - so true.

When did I start this thread? 10:30. Its now been 6 hours and still no call back. I've never dealt with them before and never will again - useless pack of wallies.

Come on everyone - modern cars are complex.

Modern car parts systems are even more complex.

So make sure you know, and can quote, the chassis number of your BMW

If you are armed with your chassis number you'll always get the right bit.

I have.

Easy.

With an E30, the chassis number brings up on the computer the fact that it is a 4 or 6cyl E30 between the years xxxx and xxxx.

The computer screen then shows a whole lot of badly scanned in black and white line drawings of different parts for an e30, with the pages roughly sorted into areas such as engine, trim etc

The part is then identified visually or with a part number(not always there) and the number is put into a seperate system which brings up a price.

There are obviously better systems in place for newer models

Jochen, I'll set you a challenge. I'll give you my chassis number and you get in my gearknob or Strut tower mount, a shock, spring or any other such part for my car.

I bet BMW get it wrong. They are not standard 540 parts and even the dealer calls me back and advise another 10 days to get the correct part.

The car is in the configuration it was delivered in.

I have even stumped the technical manager at BMWNZ head office. I had to take the car into him, before he believed my complaints about repeated BMW cock ups on parts.

Their parts database is far from perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your car may or may not have a buildsheet/come up in the database as having those parts. It's hard if, which happens with our stuff now and again, options etc are loaded, then somehow or other, changed along the way in the factory, and not updated.

Unfortunately tis life.

People always f**k you (people in general) around.

They say "If you want something done properley, do it yourself".

And i've only been on this Earth 15 entire (nearly 16) years. Learnt that pretty quickly.

I must admit though, no reply after 6 hours is actually crap service. If they havent found the part they could at the very least discuss the options with you. Though G, It may have helped to quote your last 7 digits.

Im with Cain and Jochen it doesnt matter whether its old or new.

Ive twice walked in and given them the exact part number telling them my car has the individual wood in it and BOTH times they ordered a completely different part because...and I quote 'we didnt think you had given us the right number'

Both times I refused to have the incorrect part fitted and both times I was promised they would have the correct one in two weeks.

On neither occasion have they called me back.

Haha I have the hose you need grayham

ringing you now

Edited by MrHamWallet

They treat it like a standard 540iS and get the limo parts in and not the M5 gear, even when you warn them. Then you barely get an apology.

Hate it when people ignore you warning them, I tried to tell the alignment guy my car will be a PITA but he tells me he knows what he's doing. They get the car on the hoist and what do ya know? They start complaining about how hard it will be.