Sign in to follow this  
entscheidend

WTB - E31 850

a lot of the e 31 reputation is to with ancillaries rather than the actual engine.They were very very sophistcated for the day...(the electrics etc)

martyyn. I think you misunderstand me, you are talking about reliability, not failures.

Calculated MTBF

If a product contains n unique components, qi is the quantity of the ith component, and ri is its FIT Rate, then Calculated MTBF of the product is

MTBF= 1x10 9/Sum of n times (qi/ri)

So more components means more failures. Because I'm positive that the internal components of the V12 are not designed to a better standard than those in the V8.

Maybe in an S designated engine versus M designated comparison you could draw that long bow.

Milan, are you sure? I can't remember Gerry's have red and black seats. However, I've been wrong before.

If it is his, then it's the 8 series to own.

I saw Gerry tonight and yup, its his one....think the guy had the red done on the seats to match the roof, as it had a red leather hood lining...individual

The Electronics in the E31 CSi anyway, are no different to my car. So I'd happily recommend it.

The Diff and rear end is an absolute trick piece of work though.

In addition, all Euro-spec cars are fitted with Active Rear-Axle Kinematics (known by its German abbreviation AHK for Aktive Hinterachs-Kinematik). The system works by turning the rear wheels in the same direction as the fronts in order to facilitate change of direction and weight shift in a corner. The hydraulically-controlled AHK system activates at speeds above approximately 60 kph (37 mph) and can turn the rear wheels up to 2.5 degrees depending on the angle of the front wheels.

Edited by cainchapman

In addition, all Euro-spec cars are fitted with Active Rear-Axle Kinematics (known by its German abbreviation AHK for Aktive Hinterachs-Kinematik). The system works by turning the rear wheels in the same direction as the fronts in order to facilitate change of direction and weight shift in a corner. The hydraulically-controlled AHK system activates at speeds above approximately 60 kph (37 mph) and can turn the rear wheels up to 2.5 degrees depending on the angle of the front wheels.

So it just acts like a mild 4-wheel steering system?

i was under the impression that there are only 6 'V' shaped conrods in a V12. 2 piston heads to each conrod. or is that only on more high performance engines?

i was under the impression that there are only 6 'V' shaped conrods in a V12. 2 piston heads to each conrod. or is that only on more high performance engines?

V shaped conrods? I can't tell if your joking or not :unsure:

Posted Image

This is the closest thing i could find. I not 100% sure what the correct name for these are.

It reduces the amount of single parts in an engine. one conrod connects to two pistons.

one on each bank of cylinders, on opposite strokes.

This is off a ducati engine.

Posted Image

This is the closest thing i could find. I not 100% sure what the correct name for these are.

It reduces the amount of single parts in an engine. one conrod connects to two pistons.

one on each bank of cylinders, on opposite strokes.

This is off a ducati engine.

That just looks like two conrods next to each other on the same crank - so opposite pistons in the V will fire at the same time.