Sign in to follow this  
entscheidend

WTB - E31 850

Does anyone on this site know where in NZ or who I can find a clean 8 with service history?? I have been searching but no luck, Or has anyone had experience importing one from UK or Germany? Cosmos Schwarz Colour? Low kms as well ( I know thats piushing it) ^_^

Im pretty sure all e31's fail the frontal impact regulations so you wont be able to import one.

[edit] although checking here maybe it is possible.

Edited by martyyn

Perhaps go into a dealer and ask if anyone might be trading one in, or might consider selling- they always go in for repairs

I am sure I saw a black 850 once in Taupo.parked on the main street prolly passing through....

Im seen quite a few around too, but trying to find one thats got a complete service history from BMW is hard to find. Do all of them have the Nikasil block? Does anyone on this site have one?

There was a couple on trade me a while ago, but just looked now and can't find any. keep a look out on trade me, bmw dealers and also the Auto trader, there was a couple in there last time I looked.

Hey,

Martyyn is right, they wont pass the FI regs, had a mate bring one in and he has since sold it on as a parts car. They seem to come up for sale in clusters, nothing for ages and then 4 or 5 at one time. There have been about 4 up for sale in Akl recently, there is currently one in Taupo or Tauranga, think it may still be on TM. have a look. I've got a really good buyers guide on them as there is a lot to be aware of, pm with a fax number if you would like a copy.

Happy hunting, fabulous cars.

Cheers Grant

Hey,

Martyyn is right, they wont pass the FI regs, had a mate bring one in and he has since sold it on as a parts car. They seem to come up for sale in clusters, nothing for ages and then 4 or 5 at one time. There have been about 4 up for sale in Akl recently, there is currently one in Taupo or Tauranga, think it may still be on TM. have a look. I've got a really good buyers guide on them as there is a lot to be aware of, pm with a fax number if you would like a copy.

Happy hunting, fabulous cars.

Cheers Grant

There's been an 840 for sale in Tauranga for months and months and months. When I saw it, it looked tidy.. But something's probably wrong with it if it hasn't sold yet.

So is there no way we can go to UK and buy one through an importer and some how get around the FI Reg? I heard also New Zealand is not allowing any import older than a certain age? I had a mate bring one of those old Cadillacs in, these Caddy's are more of a death trap compared to a E31 in excellent shape ... how does this work? Martynn?

So is there no way we can go to UK and buy one through an importer and some how get around the FI Reg? I heard also New Zealand is not allowing any import older than a certain age? I had a mate bring one of those old Cadillacs in, these Caddy's are more of a death trap compared to a E31 in excellent shape ... how does this work? Martynn?

The caddys are over 20 years old - and therefore can be imported under classic car laws.

The 8 series doesn't meet frontal impact - isn't 20 years old. Therefore can't be brought in.

The caddys are over 20 years old - and therefore can be imported under classic car laws.

The 8 series doesn't meet frontal impact - isn't 20 years old. Therefore can't be brought in.

Plenty of people have been caught out by this so beware , I think there is even an 840 for sale on trade me at present thats LHD

Nz new ones are becomeing pretty realistically priced now anyway,

good luck

Hove

I saw a White 850i last week on a dealers yard in Matamata, under $20K but just driving past so didn't stop to check it out. There was a NZ new 840i 6 spd in red,on TM a week or two back, NZ new, a real minter with low K's, asking $58K for it though. Fabulous cars, have all the makings of a future classic IMO.

Edited by conrod

Guest Spargo

I saw a White 850i last week on a dealers yard in Matamata, under $20K but just driving past so didn't stop to check it out. There was a NZ new 840i 6 spd in red,on TM a week or two back, NZ new, a real minter with low K's, asking $58K for it though. Fabulous cars, have all the makings of a future classic IMO.

On LM's too!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...on-82944739.htm

Thanks everyone, $58K?? for a 840 seems a bit overpriced compared to the rest of the market. I might have to settle with a NZ one when I have convinced my wife to park her car out on the street so I can have my new baby in the garage ...

That is quite a nice looking 840. Never seen it before. Gerry's 840CSi would be the best example of 8 series IMO.

Why run them down, no panels from any other car. A V12 one. Why? More components, more failures (statistical truth), for no more power or torque over the V8.

Personally, I love them. But would I be silly enough to own one...A bit like using a Lancia Delta Integrale HF as a daily driver and part-time track car.

That is quite a nice looking 840. Never seen it before. Gerry's 840CSi would be the best example of 8 series IMO.

Why run them down, no panels from any other car. A V12 one. Why? More components, more failures (statistical truth), for no more power or torque over the V8.

Personally, I love them. But would I be silly enough to own one...A bit like using a Lancia Delta Integrale HF as a daily driver and part-time track car.

Thats what im worried about trying to find one, but they will be a rare super car and the looks you could kill for with the motorsport/AC trim

Id have to disagree with this Cain. The V12 is a much more 'simple' engine than the V8 and in the age range we are talking about (e31's) the V12 was supremely reliable.

When you do your power and torque sums make sure you are matching the v8 m60 with the v12 m70 and the v8 m62 with the v12 m72

martyyn. I think you misunderstand me, you are talking about reliability, not failures.

Calculated MTBF

If a product contains n unique components, qi is the quantity of the ith component, and ri is its FIT Rate, then Calculated MTBF of the product is

MTBF= 1x10 9/Sum of n times (qi/ri)

So more components means more failures. Because I'm positive that the internal components of the V12 are not designed to a better standard than those in the V8.

Maybe in an S designated engine versus M designated comparison you could draw that long bow.

Milan, are you sure? I can't remember Gerry's have red and black seats. However, I've been wrong before.

If it is his, then it's the 8 series to own.

Cain, please explain how we are talking about different things. Does realiable not mean that it doesnt fail ?

Statistics can be made to say anything you like. Having more components does not mean its more likely to fail either. Im pretty sure I could maintain a V12 and you could run your V8 into the ground and I know which will last longer.

Everytime this debate comes up you slate the V12 with no apparant experience of them and I think your an excellent example to Rog of why people have this opinion that the V12 is to be steered clear of.

All talk and no experience.

I know lots of people who have owned and worked on both the V8's and V12's and all of them would prefer the V12. Lets not forget that the V12 is simply two M30 engines bolted together and thats widely considered to be the most simple 'mechanically' and the most durable of BMW engines.

Find a good v12 and look after it and you wont have any trouble. They are simple bulletproof.

Hey Cain,

Ive just reread my last post and realise that it can be read in a nasty way that I didnt intend it to.

What I was trying to say to Rog was that there are many people who run down the V12 with little or no experience of the engine and that many people give them a hard time by just regurgitating what theyve heard elsewhere.

Yes there are two of everything but your equation is interesting in that it states 'unique components'. Yes there are two AFM's, for example, but the unique count of them is one, they are both the same afterall (although you cant swap them !)

I will say to everyone that you have to own a V12 at least once in your life. They are no more scary than anything else and a well looked after one is just a joy. But then isnt anything that has been looked after ?

I'm pretty sure this qualifies as a V12.

And you are incorrect, unique components are pistons, conrods, valves, heads, etc...So unless the FIT of each component is lower in the V12 by more than 33% then it can not be more reliable.

If all the components have the same life expectancy (FIT) and there are more of them i.e. 12 conrods versus 8, then there is a greater likelihood that a V12 one will break. QED.

I'm not bagging the V12 per se. Having looked at the engine specs and I'd happily have the S72 powered 850CSi as it has significantly more power.

All I am saying is that the V8 has far lower risk associated with it.

I'm trying to own/drive every configuration made and would agree that a V12 is a great thing to own, Once.

post-326-1169022511_thumb.jpg