Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Crazily priced 325 on TM

hah agreed - it is a pretty low optioned one also

Its mint con , but 20k noway! maby maby one day lol

Guest Spargo

Hahaha he's not the first Motorsport owner to go for over 20K.

I seriously considered buying one for 15K - but it had full options / leather / FSH from Team McMillan / 85K on the clock - but it actually WAS mint, rather than the owner just thinking it was (Gus, Dave, Adny - remember that black one?)

Sweet theres hope of recovering the money spent on mine yet :lol: Thats mad, pretty sure i looked at that car a year back was asking $17k and wasn't perfect

I agree, that particular car is over priced. However what would pay if you had the money for one with say 40KM on it and looked like it had just been delivered? I believe price goes out the window when a car is in perfect show room condition. They do not make them anymore so you will never get another. Take the e28 M5 for sale at 34k how many others are for sale! Will that car depricate or appreciate, I know if i had the cash I wouldn't mind spending that sort of money which isn't really alot to tuck away a classic.

Haha he should have taken the 18 that guy offered.Maybe because its "one of very few left that hasnt been turned into a boy racer"

I agree, that particular car is over priced. However what would pay if you had the money for one with say 40KM on it and looked like it had just been delivered? I believe price goes out the window when a car is in perfect show room condition. They do not make them anymore so you will never get another. Take the e28 M5 for sale at 34k how many others are for sale! Will that car depricate or appreciate, I know if i had the cash I wouldn't mind spending that sort of money which isn't really alot to tuck away a classic.

I can see what your trying to say Richard (and Ive seen your comment on the auction aswell) but the simple fact is that for any car there is a ceiling price and only those with more money than sense are going to pay 20k for an m325 that IMO just isnt special enough.

An M3 maybe but not an m325.

34k for an e28 M5 is another example thats just plain crazy in my opinion. e28's and e30's have an awfully long way to go before gaining classic status, but if someone has got 20k lying around with nothing better to do then by all means buy the m325 and stick it in a garage for the rest of its life because anything you do to it is going to drop its value.

And whats the point of a car sitting in a garage ?

There is no dispute this particular car is way overpriced.

I disagree on the value of an e28 M5 however, one of BMW's original muscle cars. If a car is rare( in NZ ) then a collector will pay the big bucks and keep it for those fine days? ( sounds like a boat in wellington! ).

On another note I can't stand the cheap shots that watchers on trade me let fly with. I mean if you have no intention of bidding on an auction why comment.

By the way martyn your e30 has come up well

If you all think it's overpriced, then stay away from the auction [The free market will eventually determine it's true value] That seller shouldn't answer those comments

$20k is getting into the bottom end of E30 M3 territory [being RARE and being DESIRABLE are two different things]

My Brother is constantly GETTING over $100k for old mustangs [yankee XF's], Remember the Market determines the value [not the product]

All you E30 owners should hope he actually gets his price [it will have a flow on effect for all the cars you guys already own]

I agree with Kerry, I hope he gets it! Having just done Coromandel-Auckland-Coromandel-Auckland today in ours (big cock up that!), I'm not sure I'd sell it though. . .

Guest Spargo

Whoa thats a great drive man - at least the weather was nice!

Your supposed to be selling yours to me - I want a delphin one

If you all think it's overpriced, then stay away from the auction [The free market will eventually determine it's true value]

Do you not think the market IS telling him its overpriced ?

Do you not think the market IS telling him its overpriced ?

Generally Yes, But wait 'til some "buyers" express their interests in this car.

What I'm trying to say is that all those "Expert" comments are from those who are probably in a totally different market [or not in it at all]

If I was an E30 owner, I'd be trying to help manipulate the prices up [to help recover/justify the money spent on these cars]

My opinion is that a very good one has to be worth $20,000

Especially a mint original one!

You can restore a car many times over, But they are only original ONCE!

This car belongs to one of my customers and we look after it....its fuken mint.

The owner is no dreamer !! He has 2 others as well.

What I'm trying to say is that all those "Expert" comments are from those who are probably in a totally different market [or not in it at all]

If I was an E30 owner, I'd be trying to help manipulate the prices up [to help recover/justify the money spent on these cars]

I guess the thing for me is that I dont see the one 'buyer' who is willing to pay, what I think we all agree, is an extraordinary amount of money as 'the market'. Surely you could count the number of people willing to pay 20 large for this car on one hand. Maybe Im not in the right 'circles' when it comes to BMW ownership ;)

Unfortunately opinions are like ar$eholes, everyones got one and with TradeMe being as anonymous as it is everyone likes to have their say. The thing is he has gone to the mass public by using TradeMe and has to accept that he will get these sorts of comments. 99% of people looking at these cars are just going to laugh when they have seen plenty of cars of similar age, and in similar condition go for much less.

Perhaps I just dont value classics as much or just dont consider an e30 as a classic.

I agree with Kerry. Getting $20k for this car can only be good for those with similar cars. I have seen this topic debated a number of times on E30 M3 forums where people have criticised prices being asked for cars and the main outcome has been it is worth what someone is prepared to pay. There will be that one person. I have paid over the odds for the right car in the past and would do it again. Not all decisions are financial.

In terms of value i do think this car (mostly due to milage) is a bit on the high side. However that said a mint 325I sport in the UK now with similar miles will set ya back 5000GBP and a motorsport conv around 7 - 8000 GBP. Also having restored one of these (and not yet finished) it has cost close to what he is asking, and although mine has lower klms it would still be cheaper to buy a mint one. I have been offered $16k for mine so to be fair the $18k offered here was bloody good money.

Givin that there is such a big following for E30's its not surprising that values are on the increase. Just hoping they go up enough to justify my spend :D

Log onto the Trade-me link and read the questions [there are some serious buyers out there]

This car is 18 years old and mint [E30's will go up in value as the perils of time make them scarce]

We need cars like this to set the precedent for the rest

I remember my brother getting $70grand for a 70 stang [everyone thought the buyer was crazy] Now they swap owners for over $100grand on a regular basis

Time Will Tell

In terms of value i do think this car (mostly due to milage) is a bit on the high side. However that said a mint 325I sport in the UK now with similar miles will set ya back 5000GBP and a motorsport conv around 7 - 8000 GBP. Also having restored one of these (and not yet finished) it has cost close to what he is asking, and although mine has lower klms it would still be cheaper to buy a mint one. I have been offered $16k for mine so to be fair the $18k offered here was bloody good money.

Please dont be tempted to multiply GBP by three and think thats an equivalent price in NZ. The cost of living is vastly different between the two countries and wages are an even bigger gap.

5k was a month wages for me over there and I certainly dont earn 20k a month here !!

Ultimately as kerrynz has said, time will tell.

[edit] Forget to mention M3Cab that your prices are way over the top. You can pick up excellent 325 sport's for well under 5k these days.

Edited by martyyn

Whoa thats a great drive man - at least the weather was nice!

Your supposed to be selling yours to me - I want a delphin one

You wouldn't want it at the moment, has about an inch of dust and dirt over it. Yeah weather was nice, had the sunroof open and got sunburnt, going to see about the air con today.

If Doug has been offered $16k for his, then this may not be such crazy pricing, as Kerry said, they are only original once and maybe there's a premium there?