Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

Diff needed but can i modify to fit different diff????

Hi there

So today i was to drive back to chch from dunedin, and about 30mins before i leave the diff finally breaks a tooth or something, as it was making noises, so i joined the AA and risked driving it back!

It now safe and sound in the garage at home with a stuffed diff and i dont want to know what else, but i took it easy and hopefully the diff being in that state hasn ruined anything else??

Anyway im after pref. 4.10 diff but i will consider anything else, and can i put a beter diff into an e30 or is it a mission?? what have the turbo guys done?

cheers

Both small and med case will bolt right in, I've just done it, so let anyone tell you they aren't interchangable. You may need to swap speedo sender and adjust driveshaft length as I found out after spending a night swearing at the new diff cos it wouldn't fit.

also PM'd ya about spare diff I have down there.

do a 3.64...3.91 max if for road use...4.1 is lame for road

i have 4.43 and 3.64 small case diff's

For a 320i running a normal manual box you want the 3.64 medium or 3.65 small, they interchange very easily, bar the actual lining up to bolt the f**kers in

Thats wierd about 30 min ago I just had the same thing hapen to me. puling out of a drive way changing to seckond and then all i hear is a big clunk shudder bang. still drives but makes the ocasional clunk and shudder. So I drove it back home too. I thought these BMW diffs were bulet proof.

hahahaah no bmw arent bulletproof i think, yes fine if you drive the car nicely though, id say yours had gone too dude? does it skip jump etc when it bangs?

imo a 3.91 would be the go in a 320i. The medium case diffs are bloody strong and can handle 300hp + so they are dam good wee nuggets. I would be most suprised if you have blown the diff in the e36 grinding low, they are very very strong to, more likely you have pop the drive shaft out or snaped the nuts off imo. If bmw diffs get an oil change everynow and again they should last for years and years of abuse imo

they should last for years and years of abuse imo

I wish I could tell you how much abuse I have handed out to medium-case diffs in my long association with various BM's.. have shredded many, many clutches in the lsd's and collapsed a few CV's (prob due to the boots being broken), but never broken the diff itself, even non-lsd ones..

the rubber companies should award me a medal for it !! :P

Will

a lil' off topic, but all this diff talk has got me interested in what mine is, as im doing a manual conversion soon.

i had a quick look under my car but couldn't see anything.

its stamped on it somewhere? where?

cheers

antony.

Should be a small metal tag on the back cover under the top left bolt as you look at it from behind. Will have numbers stamped on it, first three or four tell you what diff it is.

HAHA yeah man it skips and jums and shuders everytime it akes a huge bang and clunk. Its definetly the diff thats analed. It does it mostly when its diferentiating when im turning. and I lifted it up and there is no drive to the rear left wheel ae. Ill post some pics as soon as I get my 3.73 diff in there and pop this one open. If you want a cheap diff btw ring 07 578 2400 I got a mean as price on that 3.73

got a 3.91 off mike- CHEERS

and i like the 4.1 for road i couldnt imagine any lower than a 3.91- but ive never tried.. should be good.

Seems like the e30s use alot higher ratio diffs than the e36. even the 3.7 is quite high for me. the standard one is a 3.3 on a stdd 4 cyl manual