Sign in to follow this  
EuroBoy

My new car

Hi guys and girls.

Its time for me to get a new car, and im going euro again!

However, a (nice) e36 is just out of my price range, so im looking at two specific options here, and I would like an unbiased audience, hence asking BMW owners.

My two possible cars are;

VW golf VR6

Peugeot 306 XSI

Now lets try not to focus on the fact that the VW has a way faster engine.

Lets here what you have to say, regarding styling, good and bad experiences, personal preference etc etc.

(both models are, for arguments sake, stock standard)

Cheers,

Ryan

Edited by EuroBoy

um....FWD?

VW...306 is girly

Yea, front wheel drive. Am used to it now after owning the levin for a year, so wont notice anything.

306GTi 6spd. Faster than both and better handling.

I think they're both good cars, but my personal preference would be in favour of the VW. If its even when you're ready to buy - go by colour!! :)

VR6. I nearly bought one a few years ago. Decided to hold off. Couldn't really tell you anything about them as I only looked at them for a lil' while. Wouldn't mind a R32 now. There's a nice one that parks (or used to park) next to Grant's whare in Benedicts.

106 gti, f**king quick little buggers

R32 golf also awesome cars

But for your two picks id go with the VW

I dont mind the 306s they are a good we car, but a good e30 is much better

Quite a few of my mates have VR6 Golfs they are pretty cool. I'd deffinatly chose one over that other thing you were looking at. Stick with the german stuff

Edited by RJS

There's a nice one that parks (or used to park) next to Grant's whare in Benedicts.

The guy swapped it for a Polo GTi.....why, I'll never know.

Cheers

Grant

Quite a few of my mates have VR6 Golfs they are pretty cool. I'd deffinatly chose one over that other thing you were looking at. Stick with the german stuff

Go VW .. stay away from French and stick with German, I dont know much about VW's but I have seen some wicked looking ones around, stick some 19's on it and angel eyes and it will look close to a BM ... Go with the VW for sure

Its a little unfair to compare an xsi with a vr6. Try the 6-speed gti instead....that is a nice car and I wouldve had one if the 406 sri hadnt have come up.

The 406 was one of the best handling and smoothest riding cars Ive ever owned and wouldnt hesitate buying one again.

The 106gti is a blinding little motor but it is VERY tiny !

I personally love the look of the 306 and think it can still look relatively fresh with some subtle mods.

The 106gti is a blinding little motor but it is VERY tiny !

Know what you mean there being a tall bugger doesnt help!!! JC from top gear rates theses cars VERY highly.

One of his all time favourite cars

So its really sorta split 50/50 at the mo isn't it.

I like thW shape of the 306 more, but the golf looks better lowered on bbs etc than the 306 would with like-wise mods, i think

306 is $1000 cheaper than golf im looking at.

Ugly blue interior tho... <_<

VW for me, although 306's a good little looker - I hate the build quality of the French over the German.

Having owned neither car, ill say the golf. They are reliable, and have nice neutral- looks. The 306 really is a bit gay looking.

My grandmother has had 5 new peugeots in a row, and has had problems with them all- including (even within a few months new)

-Remote locking on 505gti always locked itself

-309 had some form of engine troubles i cant remember

-306 had cooling problems i think

-406 had elec problems with gauges etc

-307 has had major gearbox problems, and general lack of power in engine, not even pug in france can identify the prob, and after 'fixing' it, its bad again now.

She is planning on looking at a new Golf.

Mums partner has a Golf GTi turbo manual- it has really good fuel econ, and the only problem he has ever had was the drivers window motor clapped out in some way. (hes looking at trading now too)

VW golfs just have the better rep/ image im sure.

Edited by nath

nath, I have a friend whose onto his third Ferrari. He's had a similar list of problems to your Gran. He loves the cars, but says they are in constant need of small repairs (not cheap - just small). It doesn't have to be French or American to have problems. If its got tits or wheels...

True.

I wanted a 306 gti, but was never sure realllly how good it would look.

get an old school golf and do BBS out the gaurds. So tough.

the 306 in black with white wheels ive seen in chch is cool... dam i wouldnt be able to decide. the golf prob less girly though

I agree, unfair comparison. The VR6 would get the nod for me.

However, the 306 is a very good car. I had a number when in Europe. If you are looking at a 306. I'd recommend the diesel version. It was heaps easier to drive day to day. It was also OK on the drag strip (rental car at Top Gear Live day @ Silverstone).

I doubt either will really have a better resale value. It's not a common Golf, so would not be as attractive to the average Joe.

306 comes with a wide variety of engines,1.4 to 2 litre i think plus the deisel of course.Every Peugot i have driven has had really good ride,very useable engine.My sis has a 306xsi?,pretty quick but has had some annoying electrical problems....finally fixed i think,was a bad earth

nath, I have a friend whose onto his third Ferrari. He's had a similar list of problems to your Gran. He loves the cars, but says they are in constant need of small repairs (not cheap - just small). It doesn't have to be French or American to have problems. If its got tits or wheels...

Or it floats.....