Sign in to follow this  
Jammasterjames

325i vs 328i

What would you buy???  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bro, 328i -- and save up for mspec. Once you got enough, sell the 328i for more than you paid and get the spec'd m.

I'd love to see a 328 rock a sub 6 sec 0 - 100.

Closer to 7 seconds methinks - with 325 being closer to 7.5 - 323 seeing around 8.

same here

Guest Denny Crane

I'd love to see a 328 rock a sub 6 sec 0 - 100.

Closer to 7 seconds methinks - with 325 being closer to 7.5 - 323 seeing around 8.

Was in issue of BMWCar back in 03, I fill find a scan of it.

A well maintained 328i will do a sub 6sec 0-100, since when is that not performance car territory?

Bollocks. A 3 litre M3 was tested at 5.4 to 60, not 62 and you're claiming a 328 is .5 of a second or less slower?

I say again, bollocks, as Andrew said, closer to 7 and there's a yawning gap between a sub 6 car and a 7 sec car.

Bollocks. A 3 litre M3 was tested at 5.4 to 60, not 62 and you're claiming a 328 is .5 of a second or less slower?

I say again, bollocks, as Andrew said, closer to 7 and there's a yawning gap between a sub 6 car and a 7 sec car.

Keeping in mind the 3 ltr M3 has 100 more hp than the 328

Guest Denny Crane

From the owner: (Who writes for BMWCar mag, so email him if you think its BS?)

Back in early 2001, I was as tired of the Vectra as it was of me. So, it was time to get a better car. Being 21, my needs weren't very complicated: I needed to be faster than anyone else I knew. Simple, really.

So with a decent job in the I.T. boom of the time (in fact, I still don't earn as much now as I did then :(), I quickly rustled up £10K and studied my options. I did have a couple of other criteria - I wanted the car to be reliable, and I'd heard that RWD was A Good Thing. These ruled out the Peugeot 306 GTi6 I was considering, and the Audi A6 Quattro wasn't pure RWD, so I got myself one of these:

Posted Image

With three years of warranty, I was pleased to have met all the criteria. Certainly it was fast! So, as I believe is common given my situation, I drove it into a lamp post after just 5 days. Seemingly the Dukes Of Hazard had made oversteer look too easy.

Unabashed I duly got it repaired and continued. Modifications weren't plentiful, but the tart in me saw one of the earliest UK 'Angel Eye' conversions take place, and while those funny 15 inch alloys it came with had cheap tyres and were fun, I obtained some 17 inch replicas. A white light kit and rear spoiler later, and I was done.

Posted Image

In the engine bay everything was pretty standard. However, this car was significantly faster than it should have been. Using a accelerometer based timing device I recorded a 14.6 second standing quarter mile, and a 5.9 second sprint to 60mph. Pleasing.

Posted Image

The car failed me only once (fair, given I only failed it once with the lamp post incident!). The plastic water impeller snapped which got the engine quite sweaty. Fortunately I didn't let it get too hot, and the warranty was effective, getting a metal impeller and coolant change done quickly and most importantly, free.

Within the interior, there wasn't a great deal of specification, but at that time in my life, it was enough. Sunroof, OBC, through-load system, and centre arm rest.

Posted Image

Ultimately though, inspired by the evil persuasions of this very forum, I found myself drawn towards an M3. So just under two years later, the 328i and I parted company. I really liked the 328i, a most usable and dependable car during a period of life where most other things went wrong. :)

And the magazine run, which admittedly isn't a sub 6, but WAS on a wet runway: (also see 325i wet times for a decent comparo)

Posted Image

So its not quite proof of a sub 0-100, but half a second off on a wet runway is near as damnit in the dry.

magazines are sh*t..most writers are f**king useless (like most people)

im with andy...>7sec times maybe 7.5? a manual 328 is a bit faster than mine, but not by heaps. only in higher gears where torque ruins me

In reading this and some of you saying 'just get an M3' etc this would be a big hike in Insurance costs etc with it being an 'm' car.

I got a quote through AMI for a '96 3litre with agreed value of $28,000. It was only gonna cost $50 more a year than my $7000 12 second mr2 turbo. $420/year, $250 excess. Garaged, alarmed, Christchurch, 27yo Male with full ncb, no accidents for 7 years.

"Using an accelerometer based timing device", wonder if he had the machine that went "BING!" as well.

If they were that quick, I have been wasting my time looking for a tidy 944 Turbo when I could have spent $8k on a 328i.

From the BMW manual

328i manual 0-100 = 7.2

328i auto 0-100 = 7.8

Not a sub 7 car :(

I wonder how quick mine is then ????.... I havent timed it or raced it

For those who don't know.... I have a '97 318TI running a M52 B28 with a 3:91 diff

I'd be curious to find out

I did have the choice of a 323 when I did the conversion...it was cheaper...but I chose the 328I as the clone car for the compact. It also had the Bilsteins.

Cheers

Glenn

Guest Denny Crane

"Using an accelerometer based timing device", wonder if he had the machine that went "BING!" as well.

If they were that quick, I have been wasting my time looking for a tidy 944 Turbo when I could have spent $8k on a 328i.

Its been a tough year huh, you've been nothing but a dick for most of it. Pop a xanax before you shoot all your co workers.