Sign in to follow this  
Jammasterjames

325i vs 328i

What would you buy???  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yo, sorry if this has already been in discussion....

According to da web, 325i has 192 HP and 328i only has an increase of 1 HP. But 328i makes up with its torque...

Is this because the 328i is tuned down? (if so, is it easy to unleash more power??)

325i M50 6 cylinder 1990 - 1995

power: 141kW / 192HP (5900rpm)

torque: 245Nm (4200rpm)

328i M52 6 cylinder 1994 - 1998

power: 142kW / 193HP (5300rpm)

torque: 280Nm (3950rpm)

Which is better to buy?

328 obviously...has way more torque down low that 325, much nicer to drive. better power delivery

Yo, sorry if this has already been in discussion....

According to da web, 325i has 192 HP and 328i only has an increase of 1 HP. But 328i makes up with its torque...

Is this because the 328i is tuned down? (if so, is it easy to unleash more power??)

325i M50 6 cylinder 1990 - 1995

power: 141kW / 192HP (5900rpm)

torque: 245Nm (4200rpm)

328i M52 6 cylinder 1994 - 1998

power: 142kW / 193HP (5300rpm)

torque: 280Nm (3950rpm)

Which is better to buy?

the m52 torque means it has more useable power, with a strong midrange. you need to rev the m50 higher to get it to go. i have driven both and i bought a 328. you could also look at a 323i which has the 2.5 M52. iirc it has the same, or a bit more torque than the 325 but lower in the rev range. these can be opend up by replacing the restrictive catback exhaust you can free the 328i up with an intake manifold from a m50. which opens it up a bit.

328i

More economical strangely because you're not revving its nuts off to get it to move. If you decide to derestrict the engine by opening up the intake manifold and changing the exhaust, there's gains to be made :)

328's cost a bit more dont they?

Id rather go for 325i and new wheels.

A better base is more important. get the wheels or whatever later. Once the novelty of the wheels wears off you'll still be driving a 325.

Buy the best base you can afford to buy and maintain. Then buy accessories as you can afford them.

A better base is more important. get the wheels or whatever later. Once the novelty of the wheels wears off you'll still be driving a 325.

Buy the best base you can afford to buy and maintain. Then buy accessories as you can afford them.

probably the wisest words in the "howto:" modders guide ... you wont regret it down the line...

The difference is so minimal. Its not like a 328i is a 'performance' car.

If you follow that logic you may as well get an m3.

???!!! you have got to be joking right ? I would think the westy would beg to differ ...

the 328 might not b as pricey as u think, my gfs old lady got 1 few mounths back 4 7 or 7&half g, with m spoiler kit and alpina 17s.it was auto tho

???!!! you have got to be joking right ? I would think the westy would beg to differ ...

i have a 323i, 320i and e46 330i at my house.

IMO while there is a difference, they are all much a muchness around town/ doing light traffic work. Yes the bigger engined ones go better, but most people would struggle to tell the difference if blind tested.

IMO while there is a difference, they are all much a muchness around town/ doing light traffic work. Yes the bigger engined ones go better, but most people would struggle to tell the difference if blind tested.

But that's not his question.

Which is better?

The one with the bigger engine :D

Not the one with the smaller engine with shiny wheels :P

Edited by lidistick

probably the wisest words in the "howto:" modders guide ... you wont regret it down the line...

Word.

I'm already holding my BBS 18's, new bilsteins and new springs.... from my current ride.

Idea would be to transfer them to the new car. Un-Pimp tha '93.

328 sounds like da money, but I gots to save some pings first nahmean.

cool .. but saying a 328i isnt a performce car is silly .. on runs, dirtysix (westy) in his 328i has well impressed everyone with its grunt, If he can keep up with mine and I dont have a problem eating standard WRXs, GSR's, VR4's and Skylines for breakfast then I would say that it puts the 328i into performance car territory easily. (really not trying to sound like a wank here btw :) )

Guest Denny Crane

A well maintained 328i will do a sub 6sec 0-100, since when is that not performance car territory?

If you follow that logic you may as well get an m3.

Exactly - if you can afford it.

325 + wheels vs. 328 = 328 ftw

328 + wheels + sounds +/or suspension upgrade etc vs stock m3 = m3 ftmfw.

This is of course if your goal is performance which based on the topic title, it obviously is.

Edited by bravo

The decision should not be on merely whether it is a 328i or a 325i. Buy the car with the best history, body, engine and drivetrain. BMWs are nice to drive, regardless of the model, and unless your priority is straight out speed off the mark, then a well maintained, sound 316i is by all accounts better than a 328i with suspect history and a funny noise from the suspension. Don't buy a 325i because it is cheaper, or a 328i because it is faster. Inspect, test-drive, and make a decision informed by experience.

Reread my post - must be the beers - I sound like a f**kwit. Just buy the damn 328.

Edited by bravo

Yes some good points.

I'm playing devils advocate a bit i suppose.

328i is obviously better. But as ThreeOneEight suggests, the better car is the better buy.

If performance is really your goal, just save the cash and get an m3.

I suppose my point is, you not going to be driving around in your mint 325i and going 'i wish i had a 328' (you'll be going 'i wish i had an m3' in either).

Its not like, say a GSR Vs. an Evo or something. I think most people would agree the difference is not that big.

Personal opinion comes in a lot here.

I would rather have a mint 325i with cool wheels, than a stock 328i. But then id rather have a 328i with cool wheel, But then id rather have an m3 with cool wheels, but then id rather have a e46 m3 with cool wheels, but then id rather have a gt3 with cool wheels, but then id rather have an..........

Debadge either and no one can tell the difference.

Even better put a 328i badge on the 325i :rolleyes:

A well maintained 328i will do a sub 6sec 0-100, since when is that not performance car territory?

True they go that well?

Open diff, automatic and detatched e36 handling detract tho.

I'm not a hater. I'll be back in the e30 game....

Edited by Nick G

Guest Denny Crane

True they go that well?

I'm not a hater. I'll be back in the e30 game....

Not paying 400 a chili ticket you won't

Yes they are that quick, well the LSD equiped ones...

end of the day .. torque = greater than all .. HP figures in general dont mean much these days.

Not paying 400 a chili ticket you won't

Yes they are that quick, well the LSD equiped ones...

But selling them at $400 a ticket i might ;)

figures

328i is better, but dont blow you budget on an extra xx3i

Edited by Nick G

I'd love to see a 328 rock a sub 6 sec 0 - 100.

Closer to 7 seconds methinks - with 325 being closer to 7.5 - 323 seeing around 8.

In reading this and some of you saying 'just get an M3' etc this would be a big hike in Insurance costs etc with it being an 'm' car.

Go find a 328i with a decent kit or if you can only find auto go for a 325i Manual. (Unless you are up to do the conversion on the 328i. (Re-sale would be better if it was standard Manual methinks?)

Whats your price range etc