Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

E30S50

Tech2 is too heavy for a race car thats trying to get a good power to weight ratio imo, the front bumper weighs a ton, and it would take money to make it fit right on a pf/l

might just make it look like a back of the grid e30 series car.....like mine :P

Wicked project! Keep us updated with pics. :)

I say iS lip if you don't want the weighty Mtech II.

Makes sense James. I guess it somewhat depends whether its going to be a dedicated track car or a road/track car.

I say iS lip if you don't want the weighty Mtech II.

Yep, iS lips look the sh*t!

Btw mate. Good luck. Can't wait to see any progress updates and of course the finished product. Will be a very nice car.

A genuine Tech=II weighs nothing, I had mine off last week and I walked it down to the panel beaters holding it with my little finger, it would honestly weigh 2kg max. The upper piece is lighter than a stock bumper.

Imagine coming off the track/road and snapping the Tech 2 into tiny pieces? Get a commonish lip on a racecar like that..

Tech1 is more in the spirit of the E30 anyway :D

^ My thoughts exactly. I have already destroyed one lip...and havn't even got on the track yet :ph34r:

Just get something common ish that doesn't cost the earth. With the beast your building be better to put the cash from a tech 2 etc etc into brakes etc instead..cos you will need em haha.

m3 evo brakes are huge. and Apex, Tech2 front bumpers are heavy (some much plastic reinforcing) but the rest of the kit is light as, all the weight is in the front bumper, and in a race car any weight over the front wheels is not good

oh and i cant take the car to get paint tomorrow so it will be going in this weekend, no biggie

and to finish, this a IS front lip might look rather nice and also keen the bank happy

m3 evo brakes are huge.

Hmmm, but arguably only just adequate for racing. You might be alright coz an E30 weighs less than an E36, although not much.

Hmmm, but arguably only just adequate for racing. You might be alright coz an E30 weighs less than an E36, although not much.

Wouldn't that come down more to pads/fuild/discs/cooling than the actual caliper/disc size if they are large? 

Whats the problem with them?

m3 evo brakes are huge. and Apex, Tech2 front bumpers are heavy (some much plastic reinforcing) but the rest of the kit is light as, all the weight is in the front bumper, and in a race car any weight over the front wheels is not good

oh and i cant take the car to get paint tomorrow so it will be going in this weekend, no biggie

and to finish, this a IS front lip might look rather nice and also keen the bank happy

Don’t mean to wine and go on but… I swapped all mine over last week I would doubt there would be any difference, the lower apron would weigh slightly more if not the same as a IS chin spoiler and the upper bumper is just a cover replacement that actually has less trim than a standard bumper. I can assure you the Tech-II cover was lighter than a plastic facelift bumper and considerably lighter than a steel pre facelift bumper. Just a correction at the risk of misconception of the tech-II weight, it is made of a very light plastic. Maybe the F/G ones are heavy.

Either way, a tech-II would look naff on your beast. Go the IS lip!

Whats the problem with them?

Rotor and pad size, sliding caliper not fixed. All I really know is that most of the fast M3 powered racers have some sort of brake upgrade, so it must end up being a good idea...

Rotor and pad size, sliding caliper not fixed. All I really know is that most of the fast M3 powered racers have some sort of brake upgrade, so it must end up being a good idea...

Most of the issue comes back to the Pads & Calipers.

The pads are too thin to handle a lot of heat and the sliding caliper also flex's making the pads taper and wear unevenly/quickly.

There are brass bushes you can get for the calipers & pads that handle the heat better, but they are still thin & the calipers need regular maintenance to keep them free sliding.

Weigh that up against the ongoing running costs of a fixed caliper, and the upgrade soon pays for itself, let alone the improvement in pedal feel and wider selection of pad compounds for the "standard" shapes.

Refer Smokenbaby's Build

Update: Got the car on the trailer, with some help from the neighbors. and will be going in for interior paint tomorrow evening

Project Forcast

-Car will be at RaceFX by the end of the week/start of next

-Work will be completed by the end of June start of July.

-Back into the paintshop for exterior paint.

-Back home for me to put all the trim ect ect back on.

-By August this project will be completed.

All going well this will be at the September meet :)

Edited by Jamez

Awesome, really interested in seeing how it'll go!

P.S. I would have it looking stock standard prefacelift. Especially with a 316i badge.

UPDATE TIME:

Car is over at raceFX to have the engine and suspension put in.

Few questions i need answered are

With a 5 lug conversion it seems to be the front wheels are to far back, how is this problem addressed?

What brake booster would be right for the e30 as it needs to power e36 M3 brakes, ive heard of porches ones being used but cant remember what type.

also will be on the lookout for 16" 5x120 rims (offset yet to found out as suspension is not on)

and Babb's looks stunning :)

oh and they said it might be done in a few days, then I laughed.....they didn't :o

With a 5 lug conversion it seems to be the front wheels are to far back, how is this problem addressed?

It seems the answer is a combination of:

- E36 M3 ***Evo*** lower arms. Has to be Evo

- offset control arm bushings

- spacing the strut away from the knuckle and/or adjustable top mounts

Search threads by user for e30-323ti and "camber".

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....1&hl=camber

What brake booster would be right for the e30 as it needs to power e36 M3 brakes, ive heard of porches ones being used but cant remember what type.

That's easy - adjustable pedal box. The car deserves better than a booster.

also will be on the lookout for 16" 5x120 rims (offset yet to found out as suspension is not on)

Probably anything off an E36, although E34 would have baller offset.

have some 16" by 7" e36 open bbs style .

cheers for the info Cam

Brent do those rims come with any kind of tires? and could i try before i buy? i can give you some 16x7 BBS weaves for a 5 series as collateral.

and finally can anyone recommend any aftermarket ecu's for the S50? as i have been told it saves alot of hassle with the factory ecu.....

Edited by Jamez

cheers for the info Cam

Brent do those rims come with any kind of tires? and could i try before i buy? i can give you some 16x7 BBS weaves for a 5 series as collateral.

and finally can anyone recommend any aftermarket ecu's for the S50? as i have been told it saves alot of hassle with the factory ecu.....

There aren't many 16's that fit over the M3 front brakes you will find (if any OE rims the 5er's would be a better bet).

Any aftermarket ECU is going to need more work than the stock one!!!

Needs to control the double Vanos let alone trying to do the mapping for it...

dont have to worry about vanos as that's being removed as they have a tendency to break if raced

ive got some 16 5 series weaves that fit, just need some cheap tires for now

The new Link G4 is really quite an amazing beast. I have a friend who works at Link putting them together and has run me through what they can do. As good, if not better, as a Motec etc, and half the price. They do manage Vanos too. The Extreme model is worth it (over the cheaper storm) because of the full sequential injection. And the software is top notch.

lol I sound like a sales rep, but I was looking into a G4 for when I do the S50..

The Extreme model is worth it (over the cheaper storm) because of the full sequential injection.

lol I sound like a sales rep, but I was looking into a G4 for when I do the S50..

You sure do sound like a sales rep!! (I don't mind - I bought a Link coz I think its a great product).

I'm not convinced about the benefits of sequential injection - I understand it is great for emissions but can only extract some very minor amount of extra power. The main benefit I see of the Extreme is that you can use low impedance peak and hold injectors, and that it has a lot more inputs/outputs (which potentially becomes important on a 6 cylinder with idle control and dual vanos).

Edited by CamB

Ahh yes! I knew there was more but I don't have my sales rep info folder in front of me currently.... haha.

It's only a few hundred more for something which would be impossible to find limits for. Perfect for a mental car like this heh.

The guy I know who works there has a G3 with G4 software in a S13 slivia. 210kW to the ground. Massively fun anti-lag and launch control. He is currently trialling the brand new Link dash. So much info, and ability to make adjustments, all onboard the car. Pricey.

Guest FrantiC

The only gain you will see from sequential injection is in engine response..

p.s Jamez - Your sig is have spelling error :P

Edited by FrantiC

Yea im all for Link also as thats what I will be running on my setup as I have told James. Their newer products G3 and onwards is defintitely up there with other aftermarket ECU's on the market.. more so than their older products which were not quite up there, and they are a NZ Made product ;)