Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

E30S50

yeah, the guys at raceFX reckon it dosent really need one, also delmonts turbo beast dosent have one

they keep on stressing to keep the car soft

Delmont is also running 600 odd HP of exponential peak power and a wider track / center of gravity. He will be running a soft spring rate with firm shocks. Its standard practice in RWD turbo cars with savage delivery of power and the need for grip. The drag guys also use this principle a bit more extremely than to say track vehicles.

Another extreme example of the oppersite end of the scale is the cowans in the e36 touring car with the s50b32.

It's setup is way too hard and the car dances around all over the place because of it on corner exit. Its a perfect case of a car that needs to run split spring rates / tender springs for the bumps and exit delivery.

There is no silver bullet in spring rates that will suit all conditions as you are probably aware of. RaceFX have a lot of knowledge in the BMW setup(s) so im am very very keen to see how this will go on your car as we are doing the complete oppersite with pretty much indentical power/weight setup to yourself.

I thought my car was very balanced before, with King Springs, went like a champ. Now with uprated springs that are matched to the weight distribution, the rear grip is SHOCKING (good shocking), it doesn't have that E30 tendancy to get the rear end out in slaloms and under power, it's a completly new car. Certainly the style you drive with matters though.

I can vouch for the handling of Henry's car, its a stunner!! Incredibly predictable and well balanced on even rough surfaces. Its not tail happy at all, unless provoked and even then its very controllable.

Can you see what I mean when I say I have little traction off the a mark Henry? haha was good fun comparing the cars today

Heh thanks man, glad you found it exciting on those rough airport corners, sure can be a struggle there if entry speeds are not tamed, hence the eye popping braking demonstrated.

I too can vouch for Riley's car. It's a beast!! Once you hook up you just dissapear though! Had you dead even till 70, but that's when you finally got grip.. :D correct that camber and it'll hunt Evo's succesfully. Do want.

Hijack sorry!

only 325i's had rear sway bars.

320i, 318i dont.

mounts are there to add one though, I did on mine.

SA spec cars came with them, my 320i came stock with all the uprated (325) gear. Made my motor swap cheaper as I didnt have to sort out the small case diff etc etc.

Update

All the m3 flares are now fitted, same with rear wing

build has been set back another week due to the decision of putting a new fuel tank in the boot

Exhaust has been fitted and a plate made to keep the heat from disforming the rear bumper

post-3670-1248930124_thumb.jpg

post-3670-1248930132_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jamez

Update time, picked up the car to take to paint tomorrow, so next update will be once its painted black, any suggestions on decals ect ect? being all black might be a bit overwhelming

Pics

Posted Image

For anyone interested, this is how the front sway bar has been mounted to fit a Z4 one

Posted Image

This is just a pic of the inside of the front wheel, shows there is enough room to fit wider rims if needed :)

Posted Image

And this is a pic of the front brake caliper clearance, its about 1cm maybe a little more

Posted Image

next set of pics it will be all one color :)

Edited by Jamez

Guest FrantiC

Sway bar looks like it pokes out really low ? Or is it just the angle the photo has been taken?

yeah its pretty low, goes underneath the sump, its kinda acting as a sump guard

edit, just did some measurements on the car, the roll bar is 8cm off the ground with the sump being 13cm

also measured the wheels from outside to outside and came up with these measurements

....................E30S50....M3

Front Track = 1695mm,1412mm

Rear Track = 1680mm,1425mm

Wheelbase = 2520mm,2568mm

and ride height is 15cm from the sideskirts.

Im not sure if I measured the track correctly, is it outside to outside or middle to middle of the tyre or hub to hub?

Edited by Jamez

cant wait to see it painted sounds great though

black with some charcoal on it :wub: i reckon that would mean

black with some charcoal on it :wub: i reckon that would mean

do you mean like this, but a bit darker?

Posted Image

Edited by Jamez

na a little lighter if anything i reakon.

isn't that your other car?

Edited by AJ Davison

yeah, its dimondswarz-metallic, it looks black at dusk and on cloudy days but during the day it looks like a very grey black

So its painted and now its gone back over to raceFX to have a fuel cell put in :)

oh and here's some pix :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Jamez

hey dude, would you mind if i asked where you got the kit from?? and round bout how much did it set you back? ive look'd through the thread but couldnt see that you mentiond. thanx.

hey, Got all the parts from Mosens, the bits he sold me were off an old racecar of his so there only 1 off's