Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Lexus v8 e34

been for sale for ages , pretty messy install , ac no go etc etc.

why bother when you can have a e34 540i for $2-4k in auto or make it a manual for a bit more or buy ian creaver's one already converted for $8k etc

Yeah, thats been around for a while that, makes me a little suspicious.

What Brent said too, not the tidiest, it's not bad, but looks a bit grotty, I mean if you're not going to bother making the engine conversion clean and tidy, what vital parts have been cheapened out on or not fitted at all?

PLUS.... like Brent also said, you could get a 540i M60 for the same money and spend a few grand on it. Since theres already a factory V8 5 series it just seems daft to waste time putting in another make of V8 engine...

The only reason I justified fitting the Lexus V8 into my E36 Coupe is because there is no factory V8 option, the car is light and it was a more cost effective option that fitting an M60 which I know little about compared to the 1UZ which I've had experience with for years.

Yeah i wouldnt bother. For example i recently offloaded a mint 540 with a bung trans for playmoney. Was ripe for a 6 speed swap and could easily be done for quite a bit less than the buy now on that. M60 is a fantastic engine too.

^^^^^ I hear that car is getting a 6spd

yup true . and i might sell mine and buy it

WHAT? How...

The pistons/rods cant handle boost and break leading to major repairs also there is a myriad of sensors which are prone to failure costing time and money to diagnose/fix

I did 55,000km in mine, nothing apart from a rocker cover gasket (?I think?) leak and a plug that kept popping out of the back of the head. Fixed with the later upgraded plug.

I'm sure if you run massive boost they would cause problems like anything else, there are also plenty on the net running low boost supercharged set ups with good reliable power.

as above, why would someone put in a lexus v8 when the car can come originally with its own v8?

The pistons/rods cant handle boost and break leading to major repairs also there is a myriad of sensors which are prone to failure costing time and money to diagnose/fix

If that happened, the engine was overstresed and / or not set up properly. No engine can take overboost or high boost without internal modifications. Sensors on those motors are prone to failing the same as any other car

ok my 5c worth

the lexus v8 is somewhat over rated but as for being weak? ah no

ive done many turbo 1uz over the years the last was in a 84 ex lancer my spec turbo stock eng made 350kw wheel on 14psi and never had the heads off and been like that for a few years now.

if you want to push more then i suggest and built engine apart from that cant see an issue,ones that do turn to custard are more related to poor setups or lack of know how or the best one of all "cause my mate said so" yep solid advise.

i would have to say forced induction on the 1uz is alot safe than the bmw v8 for reliability.